Temporarily Medically Unfit. Help!

Hello,

I have applied to join the Royal Navy as an Air crewman. All was going well until today when i had my medical with CAPITA. The doctor has indicated I may have a heart murmur. This is the first time this has come up in my life, I had never been told this before. I have an appointment with my GP next week and I will request a ECG to confirm if I have a murmur or not. The doctor had told me not to worry as i am very psychically active and would have had difficulty in my exercise routine (Shortness of breath, faintness and heart palpitations. all of which I have never encountered) if the murmur was serious. Does anyone have any experience with this condition, and also the processes involved in rescheduling medicals etc..

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm told by our AFCO Medical Examiner that as many as 10% of the population have heart "murmurs" of some description or other and the majority are completely benign and not a problem.

Sometimes it's a leaking valve, other times an extra beat, etc, but once you have an ECG they can determine whether or not it is viewed as significant.

Most people don't know they have a murmur but the good news is it has been detected and can now be classified and if needs be, corrected.

I’m an ex aircrewman. I had a heart abnormality. Something to do with a muscle out of sync. Picked up on my ecg.
Try not to worry unduly. Hopefully like mine, it won’t stop you pursuing your chosen career.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm told by our AFCO Medical Examiner that as many as 10% of the population have heart "murmurs" of some description or other and the majority are completely benign and not a problem.

Sometimes it's a leaking valve, other times an extra beat, etc, but once you have an ECG they can determine whether or not it is viewed as significant.

Most people don't know they have a murmur but the good news is it has been detected and can now be classified and if needs be, corrected.
The army had such an issue with heart murmurs causing deferrals at medical, that they brought in facilities for ECG in the med centre for medicals.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The army had such an issue with heart murmurs causing deferrals at medical, that they brought in facilities for ECG in the med centre for medicals.
Yep, the fact their medical officer at Lichfield was/is a cardiologist, or so I'm told, significantly increased the number detected. Whether this actually increased the number of medical failures due to heart defects or simply increased the number of applicants who became more unduly concerned, I know not.

Hello,

Thank you very much for all the prompt replies. I've arranged for a gp to have a look and to get booked for an ecg. Hopefully it will show as benign. Your replies have helped me feel a bit at ease with the whole thing. I also have a relation who is serving in the army (infantry) and he's told me that they get a large amount of folk with the same issue and more often than not it clears through after more tests. I will keep the thread updated as and when I hear back.

Thanks again :)

Hello, An update for anyone's future reference. After having a meeting with my GP and then being passed onto a cardiologist for further tests, it has come back that I am clear of any heart conditions. I a now awaiting my doctors letter to then post to CAPITA. So to anyone in the same boat, its worth going for extra investigation as it may clear a TMU.

Cheers

Hello, An update for anyone's future reference. After having a meeting with my GP and then being passed onto a cardiologist for further tests, it has come back that I am clear of any heart conditions. I a now awaiting my doctors letter to then post to CAPITA. So to anyone in the same boat, its worth going for extra investigation as it may clear a TMU.

Cheers
Good news. Mind you. You will probably have another ecg at the aircrew medical.

Last edited:
Heart murmers are not always down to a defect in the heart itself.
Detecting a murmur is a subjective assessment - some doctors will hear what they think is a murmur which turns out to be nothing at all. They can be very hard to hear to be fair.
Some are barn door.

Other causes of a heart murmur do occur also and arrhythmias can cause a murmur to be detected due to for example - dehydration, infection, stress etc

My son had a probable murmur before joining the Army recently
After a 24hour ECG they found nothing and he has been in service 3 years now

Heart murmers are not always down to a defect in the heart itself.
Detecting a murmur is a subjective assessment - some doctors will hear what they think is a murmur which turns out to be nothing at all. They can be very hard to hear to be fair.
Some are barn door.

Other causes of a heart murmur do occur also and arrhythmias can cause a murmur to be detected due to for example - dehydration, infection, stress etc

My son had a probable murmur before joining the Army recently
After a 24hour ECG they found nothing and he has been in service 3 years now
Fabulous, a doctor! :)
Prepare yourself to be inundated Horus40k! :eek:

I had a heart murmur picked up at my aircrew medical. I was referred to RAF Henlow for an echocardiogram and received it within a month of the medical. I was cleared but another, different murmur was found so was referred to the royal Brompton for a CT scan, again showed all clear and I'm starting in may!

Everyone was really helpful and answered all my questions through the the process. They could have just said nah you've got a heart murmur, try something else but they sent me for two tests, for free and all within two months of the first medical. You would have to go private for that kind of care!

CAPITA are shite but as soon as you get military doctors sorting you out you get a lot more answers and things happen a lot quicker!