Telegraph: "UK Orders Near For F-35 'Stealth’ Jet"

lockheed_2083901b.jpg

"Britain's Ministry of Defence is close to placing its first major tranche of orders for the F-35 fighter jet, with an award for about 14 of the “stealth” warplanes due in the next few weeks.

The orders for the new plane, being built in an international project led by US defence giant Lockheed Martin, will signal the increasing role of the British military in the controversial F-35 programme."

UK orders near for F-35 'stealth? jet - Telegraph

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It surprises me that "close" is actually considered newsworthy. Sounds like my missus coming back from a shopping trip:
"I nearly bought you something, but decided against it." Burp, cheers.

It surprises me that "close" is actually considered newsworthy. Sounds like my missus coming back from a shopping trip:
"I nearly bought you something, but decided against it." Burp, cheers.
Ninja,

Bear in mind the multiple 'drivers' involved; this isn't purely about Main Building and the Pentagon, it's about Wall Street, very much so.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

So, IF this is true, are there any guarantees regarding the performance of the aircraft upon delivery (range, payload, carry-back load, etc....) ?

Likewise, any guarantees regarding suitability for service at sea ( corrosion, etc..... ) ?

What was the final outcome of the row over source code ?

So order 14 on paper, have a review and cut by half. Launch a white elephant and struggle to man it. Oh shit, cancel original order, but wait, we better have one for decorative purposes!!

Im guessing that despite what some of the nay sayers on here will say there must be another order? If only for a few planes to train with.

With the advent of the BEAS Taranis drone is this order for the F-35B being deliberately stalled?
No!

Like any major defence procurement, we don't order everything in one go! This is just the latest of our Lightning II orders. More will follow as we build our F-35 fleet over the next 10-15 years.

Regards,
MM

G

guestm

With the advent of the BEAS Taranis drone is this order for the F-35B being deliberately stalled?
You don't half drone on about drones. When it comes to unmanned technology, I wish you'd apply it to your keyboard every time an F35 or carrier thread pops up. Besides, if Taranis or similar does happen it will be around 2040 and it's not designed to work alone. It will need to be supplemented by manned aircraft. You know, like the F35.

Last edited by a moderator:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer

So, IF this is true, are there any guarantees regarding the performance of the aircraft upon delivery (range, payload, carry-back load, etc....) ?

Likewise, any guarantees regarding suitability for service at sea ( corrosion, etc..... ) ?

What was the final outcome of the row over source code ?

Lightning II is manufactured in Blocks - all of the Blocks have increasing capability, I don't recall of the top of my head what the first Block we get is missing but the key point is that there is an upgrade path. We won't be getting a finished product in the classic sense as its an evolving system.

The source code issue is still subject to legal/commercial concerns.