Telegraph: "Shortage Of RAF Pilots For Libya As Defence Budget Cuts Bite"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Mar 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At least the dripping Crab cnuts will still have some fast jet pilots.

2. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Another article focused for a full page less 2 lines on our brave boys and girls in light blue and their derring-do over the skies of Libya. The last two lines were a throwaway comment about navy ships and submarines and stuff.

If we leave a PR vacuum, the RAF will fill it, which is why a dog-handler at Valley is probably seen as more important to defending UK interests than any number of matelots at sea on Atalanta, Calash, etc, etc.

3. Isn't dog handling an offence?
    Beastiality is terrible thing to live with.

4. From the Telegraph article:

So there are 18 RAF Typhoon pilots in Italy, presumably accommodated in comfortable quarters ashore, to fly 10(?) aircraft on operations (a ratio of almost 2:1) over a country where the air defences are reported as having been all but neutralised.

Am I living in a dream world or do Fleet Air Arm pilots still deploy in ships and fly without any reliefs for deployments lasting up to 8 months at a time? Even before the RN lost its fixed wing capability last year, HMS Invincible once spent 166 days (five and a half months) at sea between ports. She is still believed to hold the record for continuous carrier operations and even beats the best of the American nuclear flat tops: USS Dwight D. Eisenhower with 154 days and USS Theodore Roosevelt with 160 days.

Interestingly, this letter was published in the Daily Telegraph on 15 Feb 2011 (link):

So RAF personnel (including ground staff) have a maximum separated service averaging 140 days per year while the equivalent for RN and RM personnel is 220 days per year. And that's not all, as shown in this passage from the July 2008 issue of the RAF Bulletin (link):

That's not even 1 in 4 but 1 to 4 (i.e. 1 in 5). The story doesn't end there, either. The Harmony Guidelines call for an averaged maximum separated service of 166 days per year for the Army (vice 220 for the RN/RM (including aircrew) and 140 for the RAF - link). I assume this is a significant factor in the Army's need for over 100,000 personnel to maintain around 6,000 regulars in Afghanistan.

Isn't it about time the Harmony Guidelines were 'harmonised'?

5. Good post NG - Part of me wishes the facts could be given a wider airing (MPs and British Public) but the other half just feels that it would open the wound and could lead to a clamour for even more cuts rather than a more sensible re-balancing.

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't believe any of that report in the slightest. Remember not so many weeks ago when the AVM of 2Gp was forced to fly around various UK locations and tell trainee aircrew they were excess to requirement. The numbers/ratios he trotted out simply don't support any FJ aircrew deficiencies in any manner.

Its all spin and poor journalism.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

8. It's still rather ironic that the SDSR cuts already announced in today's service manpower over the next four years will comprise 5,000 (nearly 13%) for the more cost-effective RN but only 5,000 (11%) for the larger RAF and 7,000 (less than 7%) for the much larger Army.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

10. Subsunk

No, no. Actually it's mandatory for the Light Blue.

11. Subsunk

The sooner the FAA is gone, the sooner unfavourable comparisons with them go away. I suspect the next target will be CHF, and the best way to see them off will be to find a way to deny the proposed transfer of Merlin HC3.

But let's not be too hard on them. They are on the bones of it and are having to make some savage readjustments. They will even have to - don't let your monocle fall out in horror - withdraw their display pilots and aircraft from the airshow circuit this summer.

Is nothing sacred? Will spotters no longer thrill to the sound of a Typhonn as they shovel down their £50 hot dog?

12. Concur with your sentiments but I think you mean Hawk rather than Typhoon.

13. That naughty Dr Redford (link to earlier post in this thread) has been at it again: :smile:

• Like Like x 1