Telegraph: "Sailors Given Freedom Of The City ... Then Refused A Drink"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, May 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sailors given freedom of the city...then refused a drink for being in uniform - Telegraph

This story seems to have begun in the Edinburgh Evening News, before being picked up by the Telegraph, Sun and Express.

HMS Edinburgh crew barred for uniform in pub - News - Scotsman.com

Royal Navy heroes are given pub ban after capital tribute | The Sun |Scottish News

Full steam ahead... unless you want a pint | UK | News | Daily Express

A Facebook group has been created, calling for a boycott:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/168212610014809/?fref=ts

[The way in which press articles are collated and added to Rum Ration is being re-thought at the moment; in the interim, while things are being restructured, one-offs will be added every few days, either as new threads (very few though) or as an addition to an already existing one].

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If the article is correct, the Ships Company were given express permission to go ashore on a "rig run".

To be honest it sounds to me like a misguided Facebook rant about how "Our brave boys and girls were refused a drink because they were in uniform".

From a public relations aspect it's a rather tedious and unnecessary article in the "news" which portrays the Navy once again in a poor light, such as moaning about losing iPods when taken hostage, etc.

The publican is within their rights to serve whoever they wish to serve or not serve. Bleating about it in the national press is rather distasteful and embarrassing. Granted it's not particularly nice to be snubbed, but one publicans loss of custom is another's gain and the disadvantage is decidedly trivial - it was quite possibly probably a crap pub anyway.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

They were probably barred for being scruffy. We all know what Jacks like when he tries to look all dapper and smart.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I love the outrage when stories like this come out. The ranters really do come out of the woodwork. Brilliant reading.

5. I occasionally work in my brother in law's pub, if I'm honest I'd also refuse to serve a massive crowd of lads in rig.

I was a matelot once, I know exactly how the ***** behave on the piss. I don't want gizzits robbed from the pub, I don't want other patrons being hassled or disturbed by loud behaviour and swearing, I don't want every woman in the place feeling intimidated, I don't want vomit in the bogs, I don't want glasses getting smashed etc. etc. etc.

There are a million reasons to refuse any massive crowd of lads on the piss, let alone lads who are high on the bravado of being in rig.

The last UK rig one I took part in, involved a window being broken, an entire table of drinks and glasses being knocked over, all the other punters leaving, a small child bursting into tears, five or six silver tankards and a champagne bucket being robbed and the bogs being transformed into the public toilets from Trainspotting.

6. IMO here is the only thing of interest where this story is concerned:

It wasn't Sharp it was "The Most Illustrious Grey" Ensign Charles Ewart.

It was in the first charge I took the eagle from the enemy: he and I had a hard contest for it; he made a thrust at my groin, I parried it off and cut him down through the head. After this a lancer came at me; I threw the lance off by my right side, and cut him through the chin and upward through the teeth".

Full ripping yarn here.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Going by the Telegraph story, the matelots didnt jump on facebook to moan about it, but mentioned it in conversation with the Lord Provost on his visit to the ship the following day. One can imagine a conversation along the following lines:

Lord Provost: "Did you enjoy yesterday? Are we looking after you well in our fair city?"
    Jack: "Well..."

True, public houses can in principle refuse to serve, but the story quotes an Ensign Ewart spokesperson as attributing the refusal to licensing regulations. That is quite a common misunderstanding and there is some purpose to be served in giving the true position some publicity. There is no escaping the fact that it is newsworthy. Generally the coverage of HMS Edinburgh's farewell visit has been extremely positive, and rightly so.

8. It comes across as a made up excuse to save face. The spokesperson is probably a team leader on 17 grand a year who got jiffed to deal with a shit situation. Coming out with some crap about licensing shifts the blame slightly and passes the buck. It's a lot easier than saying "We don't serve large groups of lads - especially sailors or other military groups in rig, because we suspect it'll be a hell of a lot more trouble than it's worth."

"Not my fault Guv, just following orders. Sorry."

9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

*History head on*

The first eagle to be captured by the British was in fact a joint effort by Lt Edward Keogh and Sgt Patrick Masterson of the 87th (Royal Irish Fusiliers) at the Battle of Barrosa in 1811. There is a good painting of it entitled "Bejesus boys. I got me the cuckoo!" or something like that.

Charles Ewart, of the Scots Greys, captured the first eagle at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

*History head off*

10. The pub in question had a no uniform policy, not a no military policy. A lot of places do and for very good reason.

You'd best hide when Appleby horse trials are on then.

• Like Like x 1
  11. From Sharpe’s Eagle: The Talavera Campaign, July 1809 (The Sharpe Series, Book 8 ) by Bernard Cornwell:

Fictional but immensely enjoyable.

12. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

The low-down on the grape vine is that it was the land lord's consistently inhospitable wife that was responsible for not allowing them in, the pub is up for sale, and if your missus was driving away custom you can see that that would make sense.

It is a shit pub anyway, there are better watering holes within 30 seconds walk. They will certainly not be getting my non-existent custom in the future!

13. They don't usually venture this far over.

In the 5 years the pub has been running, there has never been any pikey hassle. It's a good half hour from Appleby.

14. Ninja_Stoker

You may well be correct, (apart from the odd comment on the Type 42 Association Facebook group), let's justcall it a pre-emptive prediction ;-P:
    dross.JPG

15. Be okay in here at the weekend before catching the ferry across the Mersey..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

17. Pompey has no room to talk, the city whose neanderthals invented the noble art of "skate bashing"!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker