Telegraph: "Royal Navy To Train Sailors Without Sending Them To Sea"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Dec 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit like us Wafu's then!!!!!

2. I went to sea once....didn't like it much.....the airfield kept going up and down.
    :0)

• Like Like x 1
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

That's the emergency bog roll sorted for the day.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Nothing new in military circles.

It you've never sat in the back of a truck going "wooka, wooka, wooka" then fast roped down the tailgate into a hostile LZ you're a gayer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. "Just shout 'bang'!"

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

They'll be asking the RNR next how to be pretend sailors..........:tongue::lol:

7. I (along with every other Jack Dusty in the fleet) didn't go to sea until I became an AB1 and had a star on my badge. Nothing new here.

8. What !! :shock: No Sea Training ? :shock: :shock:
    I had a week on the Scott (converted Minelayer), then a week on the VIc, both between ages 15 & 16, then full sea draft at 16 1/2 ..... great times (even if I was suffering from mal de mer at the beginning :lol: )

ps I'm an ex Dusty also.

9. What a none story.....We have been doing operations room training ashore for years. It's just a new system to do it. We will always continue training when we get to sea.

SM

10. A technological leap in flexibility, adaptability, sophistication and realism but still the same principle as the old COOK and CUNNINGHAM command & operational trainers at DRYAD. It serves the old adage of making your mistakes ashore, not when at sea.

11. Don't see much of a story there,I spent 6 months at Raleigh,then a good while on the Ocean then off to gunnery at Cambridge so there was a fair bit of on shore training.
    Made it well up on seatime later but that was a blessing when you considered the option of Whale Island,a place so grim it turned us all to drink!

12. They're about 40 years too late with this story.

13. My first ship was a good year after leaving the SA school- spent the time at Culdrose so I didnt even get a sight of a ship prior to joining the Scummer as an SA1.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.382465,-4.184605

14. Same as they were in 82 then?

15. the caption under the photo "Royal Navy recruits training in a sinking ship simulator in Plymouth" not really peeps, cos that pic is me in yellow, and i work in pompey ...... good in depth facts then !!!!!

16. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

17. Like a lot of posters, I agree, it's a non-story. This sort of thing has been going on for a long time; only the technology has developed.

I've always been in favour of teaching our people to walk before making them run which is why I was particurlaly grumpy when HMS Cambridge closed.

There were few things more satisfying than watching PWO's under training flinching when the 4.5's went BANG just over their heads and gagging on the cordite fumes when they visited my world and later listening to them getting stressed over the ops room intercom...

...and then observing them at sea, getting their act together and developing into effective PWO's, (and taking a little bit of pride that I'd helped in my own little way).