Telegraph: "RN And RAF Will Bear Brunt Of Defence Cuts"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jul 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So much for SDSR being predicated on a long term foreign policy review. If we are only getting one aircraft carrier to replace the two and a half we have currently, then it had better not need any periods of maintenance, leave or training, nor suffer any breakdowns or other mishaps.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I would look at it another way - the article is very 'wishy washy' and full of coulds / maybes / possibles. Perhaps thats because they've taken the shopping list and decided its all vulnerable - no decisions have been taken yet, so I'm unclear about how they know whats going on.
  3. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting (one that's totally resistant to insecticides or swatting!).

"Defence Minister, tell us what capability you'd like us to be able to deliver over the next 40-50 years and we'll tell you what we need to do it. By the way, it takes several weeks to recruit and train a soldier or acquire a fighting vehicle, many months to acquire an aircraft plus supporting infrastructure pluse a couple of years to train the personnel to employ it effectively but 10-15 years to build a replacement ship or submarine plus supporting infrastructure and provide it with an effective ship's company. Unless you're happy to see the UK lose its cutting edge ship-building industry in which case we could probably get some suitably modified vessels off the shelf within five years or so."
  4. I think I've just had my question answered:

An army marches on its wallet
  5. Months? I think I had just started school when that was still true.
  6. Note that I wrote "acquire", not "build". For a COTS procurement solution, it would be "many months" (i.e. "a few years"), as opposed to "many years" for designing, developing and building a warship or even procuring a suitably modified COTS vessel.
  7. Military Aircraft (unless it's a basic transport type) are not normally available "off the shelf". Even pre loved ones are likely to need significant refurbishment and upgrade if they are to perform and survive.

An interesting low cost COTS solution is this airframe; All sorts of problems seem to be popping out of the woodwork making worthwhile offensive kit fit into the space and trim limits available. As its American and not British, the weaknesses aren't well documented but ShortFatOne in is pretty well informed on these matters.

If we think in terms of easy COTS, we have;

In DEC 09;
    . That is for a Type already in service. Had it been a new type, a lot of new infrastructure and training would be stretching well in to the future.