Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arrives"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pretty terrible if the defence correspondent for the Telegraph makes such outlandish statements as "large vessels can make easy target for small boats" in reference to the two new carriers, yet, in the same article laments the imminent loss of the Sea Harrier...which went out of service 6 years ago. I think these hacks need to stop supping treble gins and do some research!

2. I noted that the by-line accredited Sean Rayment. I have previously been surprised by the gash nature of defence-related stories in the Telegraph written by Thomas Harding. Does anyone see anything these two might have in common? (Apart from spinning gash uninformed drivel, that is.)

3. Oh yes ............

Good spot, JC.

Both Paras.

4. Like Max Hastings, no friend of the RN or RM then despite the fact that the RN suffered such grievous casualties (both ships and men) for the want of decent carrier-borne aircraft, including proper AEW, while delivering 2 Para to the Falklands.

5. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

There seems to be a tendency, when it comes to reporting on Defence, for the media to choose people who have served in one of the Armed Forces and thus assume that this makes them the fount of all wisdom on every aspect of the Army, the RAF and the RN. As a rule, they have served in the Army; it is rare for any decent writing on Defence to be done by someone who has served in the Royal Navy, which is a pity.

6. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

Are you forgetting Lewis Whatsisname?

7. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

:)

8. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

I'll take that as a 'NO' then.

9. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

Note my underline in the quote.

LP tries but he has a tendency to mix serious comment with misguided attempts at light entertainment and it comes across as the Telegraph meets the Beano.

He also develops bees in his bonnet, which gives the impression of a lack of balance in his reporting.

10. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

Perhaps I should have used an emoticon.
    This one seems deadpan enough :|
    (Though I thought calling him Whatsisname rather than Page kind of gave it away.)

11. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

True, yes....... :lol:

No doubt he's frothing at the mouth at the moment.

He's going to be having a very busy week, as are we all.

12. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

Twice in a week you've been misunderstood Joe, Sol seems to have this effect on you...

13. Max Hastings, iirc, wanted to join the Guards (family tradition), but failed his medical.

His mum wasn't able to get the appeal upheld :|

14. Re: Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arri

I think she might have got flustered by my cock picture :|

15. The public seems to be massively misinformed when it comes to cuts. I was watching Sky News (i really was that bored) and a reporter from the Independent said how the current Aircraft Carriers were useless and hadn't been used during the Iraqi or Afghan wars! I have also lost count at the amount of times i have read how the Navy still has 3 Aircraft Carriers!