Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDSR"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might help explain some of the lengthy, almost hysterical arguments against the replacement carriers by two suspiciously similar posters on this ARRSE thread:

Why We Need a Navy
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDS

Let me guess White_city and frydman 8O

I started to get involved in the debate but grew bored, you couldn't budge their position and in some aspects I agree with their stance except that its meant to be a Defence Review and not necessarily a cutting exercise (despite what the reality actually is) and hence their argument that you can have a carrier (or two) but you HAVE to provide some compensating reductions rankled.

I still don't believe the Senior Naval Staff expected to be put in the position that in order to get CVF they would have to give up the bulk of the Amphib or surface fleet.

Anyway reading into the Torygraph article I wonder if the "black Ops cell" they refer to is infact CGS briefing team which is a full and a half Colonel....interesting.
  3. Re: Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDS

They could cut the "new" Nimrods, and save enough on running costs alone to pay for the carriers.
  4. Re: Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDS

Funny old world; the brown jobs stab the dark blue and the reflex action of the dark blue is to stab the light blue. The Treasury maggots must be chuckling over their sparkly spa waters.

Apart from the expense of actually operating any maritime patrol and ASW machine, Nimrod 4 has been effectively paid for. Have you worked out how many FFs would be needed to cover that sea area very 12+ hours? I also remember that every time a SSN went deep South, a Nimrod was "requested" to detach to MPA to cover its arcs. I believe that the BNs have also found them rather useful.
  5. Re: Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDS

Why dont they just cut the FU%king loteverything trideent nimrod cerriers the bootnecks the gurkas everyFU5King thing and leave the country defenceless
  6. Well next time we have a Falklands style conflict, the Army can always 'yomp' their way there. See how they like that one :wink:
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Telegraph: "Navy Fury At 'Underhand' Army Tactics In SDS

Good idea, Mr Cameron. :wink: