Telegraph: "Naval-Gazing In A Gleaming Hall"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Feb 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Makes a change from magnolia emulsion, I s'pose.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I seem to recall someone counting 383 breasts.

3. You don't get ceilings and walls like that in B&Q.

4. The Chapel is worth a look as well

Attached Files:

5. Pretty good - for pensioners' accommodation. Things seem to have slipped a bit since Wren was around.

2BM

6. Seaweed

If the pensioners wanted to smoke they had to use the underground passage (the 'Chalk Walk') between King William block (which houses the chapel) and Queen Mary block (which houses the Painted Hall). On one of the window frames of Queen Anne block (the NE one) are marks where an iron grille was once fitted to stop Admiral Byng climbing out. The whole place is awash with quaint curiosities.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I 'grew up' near Greenwich (well, lived nearby!) and was a Sea Cadet in the early 1980s at RNC (TS Royal William, now defunct). I would spend hours discovering the abandoned attics, corridors and basements, riding the old iron elevators and searching for old souvenirs or interest. It was a strange but fascinating complex - I recall there being a mini nuclear reactor within the college, for training purposes? I would love to return to visit again and see how it has changed but I doubt I would be permitted to enter some of the areas that I used to explore.

8. You are correct, it was called Jason. As a dit, I was on Sovereign when a planned visit to London was cancelled because Ken Livingstone didn't want a nuclear submarine in his city because of radiation, the usual guff the media attached to an "atom death sub" type of thing. All the while just down the road... :)

JASON reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seaweed

Jason was used to teach SSN engineers. Dit was that when the college was sold off nobody remembered to mention its presence. It was certainly the only nuclear reactor in a Listed building. The west face of the colonnade of that building is graced by a large frieze of Coade Stone, an artificial ceramic created by a Ms Coade who took the secret of its composition to the grave.

To the immediate East of RNC was a lecture hall called Trident Hall created out of a redundant LCC ambulance station.

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Bargain.

...erm, until one considers a 10Kw reactor knocks out only 5 times the power of a bog standard hundred quid Argos 'leccy fire.

There must've been a cheaper way to heat the place, surely. :wink:

12. ...and there be Ghosts:

Trident Hall | The Greenwich Phantom

(Probably just our Rum Rat a'searching for his Meds.)