Telegraph: "Morale In Armed Forces Plunges To New Low"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Sep 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a theory.

The only people who can be arsed t fill that survey in are the people who mank continuously and want to mank some more. Hence it looking like we're all miserable.

We're not.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Depressing reading, sad in reflection when we have so many youngsters chomping on the bit to get in.
    So if you don't mind Sol, I'll tuck myself into bed with a book "Scouse" sent for me to read...."Biggles flies undone"
  3. Was there a box for your location? Presumably that is the only way that "many" of the RAF can be currently "over Libya"

Given even the pilots over Libya are very high up and not being shelled like the RN I can see why certain members of the dark blue who've actually fought in repeated actions might be a little on the low morale side...

Presumably the RAF media team's morale has increased with that line...
  4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If that is the attitude of 'senior officers' no wonder morale is low. I had always been of the opinion that in the armed forces (which excludes Crabs of course) that one is expected to fight; and survive to fight again! The bit about 'fight and die' should be reserved for the enemy IMHO :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. If you don't spend most of your day manking you are not a real Matelot, oh I forgot you’re a Wafoo.
  6. Firstly it's WAFU.

Secondly, I'm not.

Thirdly the continuous attitude survey is a waste of time and media reports like this are the only things to come out of it, this is not good.

7. Yes morale is at an all-time high when our front line combat soldiers are being used as policemen in Afghanistan; our Armed Forces are being decimated by the current regime and on a pay freeze for God knows how long, forced redundancies are taking place. Everything is far from being Tickety-Boo in HM Forces and to think otherwise would be delusional.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
    You like WAFU and I like Wafoo, let’s call the whole thing off.
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Aging Gracefully wrote
    The spiel you refer to sounds like a journalistic invention AG. 'A senior officer said...' Yeah right. MLP's observation about malcontents being more inclined to respond to these surveys sounds about right.

mikehunt wrote

Operations in Afghanistan are not constabulary in nature. Hardly.

It is never 'Wafoo' any more that 'Nay toe' is an alternative to NATO. WAFU is an acronym, I'm surprised a sailor doesn't know and appreciate that.
  9. Are you currently serving?
  10. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... Morale isn't too high in civvy street for the small independent business peeps either; yet no-one has been a'knocking on my door with suchlike regular quizzes to guage the exact level.

Suffice it to say that even the Nigerians have stopped sending me their 'begging letters' these days... :sad:
  11. ...and how to avoid it :wink:
  12. I can assure you that as I type Royal is being used in a policemans role in Afghanistan.

I find my version of your WAFU much more satiating.
  13. Third hand dit or what you've "read"?
  14. Morale's low.

What's new then?

Twenty years ago when I was serving we had a problem with morale, or retention they called it then. During a 2SL visit to Gannet, a statement was made that there is NO problem with retention in the FAA. A squadron pilot turned round and asked of those present who had their notice in to stand up. 3/4's of those present stood!

The 2SL still denied it wasn't a problem.

This current round of 'Morale' issues is simply a ploy, (a good one), to get a better pay rise to increase morale!!!!

My theory and I'm sticking to it!!!!
  15. Intriguing.
  16. I knew you would be unable to take it on the chin but I still find it awfully disappointing.