Telegraph: "Military Covenant To Be Made Law"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, May 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long can you hold your breath?

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The bit about 'long established in tradition' amused me. Looking forward to reading the exact wording of this 'covenant'.

3. So what happened to patriotism, loyalty and love of my nation.

4. Agree with Bandy_E, when it is written as it should be in stone.

5. I can understand the cynicism as I always get worried when the politicians start sounding sincere and almost agreeing.But putting that to one side as others have suggested the devil will be in the detail which none of us has had chance to see yet.

6. Like the 10 Commandments. Sooner or later some jerk-off in government will state "We didn't actually mean that to be included in the Military Covenant."
    Tjis should have been done pre Falklands. There is and never should be any excuse for treating our servicemen so shabilly, stand fast RAF Regiment. :censored:

7. As one of the establishment, I think you can take it as "read."

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  8. I see that Questions on Defence are scheduled for 1430 in the Main Chamber tomorrow, so I imagine that SoS will be on his feet and going in to the finer detail then.

9. Seaweed

And even then, what he says may or may not transpire into law. Essentially he will be stating his apparent aspirations only. Whether he really wants to go as deep as he will say, noone will know.

10. I doubt there'll be that much detail because detail leaves no wriggle room and we all know that politicos love to wriggle.

11. This is a good start, but they need to cut out wiggle room and loopholes, cos some government in the future will try to find these. May I ask, when was the last government that actually cared for the military? I think you need to go back to at least Attlee's era. The next needs to be to cure the pro army bias in society, something as simple as a tactful ad on TV would do the trick.
    A little while back I was asked "So, what do you want to do when you leave school"
    I replied "Join the RN, as an officer if I can"
    and she said "Why do you want to join the army?"
    "The RN and army are different and separate"
    "No, the RN is part of the army"
    See what I mean, and the Booties and Crabs could benefit from this also

12. This is full of shit and full of loopholes.

Funny how a powerful popular view of government treating the forces with contempt always precedes a government mandated action. Let Cameron blow his horn over this as much as he likes. It means **** all now and will mean **** all in the future. I predict army/navy/crab chiefs trying to site it a precedence in some unforeseen event in the furture and then and just as always the GMT will wriggle out through some cleverly or just brutish back door.

******* ***** the lot of them.

13. Oh **** im so sangry right now!

14. If it is made law it will only be for ENGLAND because those nasty Tories are not going to make it cover the whole UK using devolution as an excuse despite there being proper mechanisms for the passing of UK wide law covering the devolved administrations.

Liam Fox the nasty face of Toryism

Devolution 'halted UK-wide laws on rights for veterans' - Scotsman.com

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Bloody hell Maxi, you've been thinking about that for a while, how are things?

16. Tories are utter scum, not just Fox, and not just in Scotland. Down here in the Midlands, they're fcuking us over an awful lot

17. Seaweed

Where services have been devolved to Scotland (health, education, housing), it's up to the Scotch to do the right thing at least as much is going to be done in England. But, at the request (if you can call all that agitation a request) of the Scotch, these things were passed over from Westminster control and are now a Scotch responsibility. They already have more welfare money per capita than the English. All the whining and sponging becomes tedious. Take the heather out of your ears and get on with it.

Meanwhile welcome back from your concrete bunker or whatever Maxi.

18. You little minx, you provocateur, as Jean Crapaud might say.