Telegraph: "Lord West: Cut Foreign Aid To Defend The Falklands"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Mar 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. LOL, despite MOOOAAASSIVE popular opinion, this will go about as far as vanessa Feltz in a marathon.

Not the old "Marathon" mind...
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This is the man who stood outside No.10 urging people to vote for Gordon Brown.
  3. why are we STILL giving £££££billions to india and mexico i forget??? :twisted:
  4. As far as India is concerned to curry favour aka votes with the Indian diaspora in the UK?
  5. It would be shameful to put the Falklands in the same situation they face in 1982. So, what is cheaper? To evacuate and cede the islands to Argentina and pay to re-settle everyone in the UK and put them onto the Gov't tit or spend the money and defend the place? Interesting question to ponder from a bean-counter perspective, but my thoughts are with the men that served in the war, the sacrifices of the killed and wounded and their families...
  6. And the Indian government has said its a piffling amount compared to their budget and they said they dont need and dont want it.
    Reminds me of the Chinese and their enforced "drug habbit" a bit.
  7. If that's the case, is there any chance they could put the UK onto their Foreign Aid budget - I am certainly not too proud to accept charity from India and I don't think our Government would object either.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Sails with the wind, doesn't he?

Normally not a bad thing to say about a Sailor.
  9. How bout we tell the indians to go down there and defend it for us, or else we pull their funding. That would be as "Colonial" as ****... Kercher would love that.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hasn't Port Stanley got a corner shop already?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nineteen frigates and destroyers? Bloody hell, I don't take that much notice these days but that's barking.

And we're wearing baseball caps.

It's the end I tells ya. The end.
  12. How many FF/DD-type ships are they planning to have when the carriers are in service? 19 seems pretty damned thin to me when you consider all the other missions that they are needed for...Protecting SSBN bastions, protecting the MS forces, anti-piracy, multi-national/NATO deployments...just to mention a few...Oh, and the darn things do occasionally need overhauls...It's one thing to employ superior technology, but now you have made EVERY unit a HVU and there is NO WAY you will win against a force based on attrition...What would Lord Nelson think? God rest his soul...
  13. Impressive use of ellipses old chap.

Nelson's not dead by the way - we pre-dated Walt Disney's cryogenic suspension with the use of a barrel of brandy.
  14. I thought it was rum, but then again officers drink brandy in the wardroom...On our ships, they all hid booze in their staterooms...However, we had a beer-day after 40 days underway...A whopping TWO cans of 3.2 beer...
  15. I'm welling up here. Lump in my throat (and trousers). :D
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Foreign aid" is more than just buying a Third World country some grain and a couple of cement mixers... often it is a diplomatically rhetorical gesture to influence current or future decisions. For example, if Country A offers a £xxxM aid package to Country B, then part of the agreement in accepting the package is that Country B will offer assistance to Country A during a politically sensitive situation (e.g. Allied air assets operating through Syrian and Turkish airspace during Middle East operations following disaster relief donations following earthquakes...)

Politics is a funny game; don't believe everything you see in the papers and try to read between the lines. And remember: Lord West was once Deputy (and subsequently Director) of Naval Intelligence, so is well versed in the methods of media misdirection (recall his well-orchestrated/MOD-endorsed "leak" of classified papers to the press about the Government's plan to scrap the carriers in the '80s...) :wink:
  17. Machivelli is alive and well then.:D
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. So is Banjo saying serrupt ...... syrup...... cerrup ... oh fcuk it ....on the sly to the Argies to have a go at the Falklands cos we can't defend them ...... unofficially like?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  19. Hasn't quite worked with Foreign Aid to India and their recent arms buying decisions going elsewhere.