Telegraph: "Ironing Becomes Casualty Of Afghanistan Withdrawal"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Apr 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Helmand-general_2869124b.jpg

"It is an offence that until recently could have resulted in a sharp dressing down from a sergeant major. But wearing creased uniforms at Britain’s main base in Afghanistan will now be forgiven after troops were ordered to hand in their irons as part of the military withdrawal.

Commanders inside Camp Bastion previously insisted that British military standards on freshly pressed uniforms extended to the dust and 120F heat of the Helmand desert. Now, as the British presence rapidly shrinks ahead of the final departure of combat troopsby the end of this year, soldiers have been ordered to hand in their irons along with thousands of tons of kit being shipped home."

Ironing becomes casualty of Afghanistan withdrawal - Telegraph

2. Fatigues! God bless America.

Anyway, it's always good to see what professional logisticians can achieve these days.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, they must be 'tired' now... :wink:

4. I wonder if all the irons will end up at Raleigh?

• Like Like x 2
  5. sgtpepperband

6. The boards, ironing and the irons, flat are (or were) AC "consumable"; gash the bloody things locally to best advantage to the Crown. If they go through the S331 process through a Base (can't speak for the weird COD buggers), they sure as hell won't get back on A1 Charge.

I've always thought ironing a can't-see-me suit rather strange. That said, Percy likes to parade in them these days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mate, in my current barracks the naval stores actually uses a S129 pad an makes everyone sign for everything, consumable or not, the way land works at times is quite strange to us.
    As for ironing greens, I get inspected every morning by my sgt as though I'm back in Raleigh, to make sure I'm smartly pressed, my boots and beret badge are polished (including the pin)and that my beret has a lining. Happens to my entire troop and one lad at the Marine rank has been in 17 years.

Sent from my brain to your eyes via the Internet.

8. Good.

Perhaps if the RN did that we wouldn't have so many bags of shite kicking around.

9. MLP, as a SNCO aren't you in a position to do something about it? No point moaning about it on a public forum.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. Trollnottle.

When I have a division / section I do. However if I spent all day kit mustering everyone I come across who looks like shit I wouldn't have time to meet my TORs or enjoy two hour long coffee breaks playing temple run.

Each department or division should ensure their own people are meeting the standard, not expect others to pick them up for them.

Thankfully I'm not at Culdrose anymore. My 4 minute 12 second walk from block to tower was regularly extended to 15 minutes due to near daily reaming of the abysmal bags of shit wandering around dressed like Wurzel Gummage.

Edited to add: Anyway, I though CS95 /MTP was always for dyin' in not ironin'.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Always thought the same, but you should have seen the fuss kicked up on arrse about the whole sleeves down / untucked shirts looking scruffy and how everyone wanted to be like the marines, tucked in and rolled up.

As for picking up scran bags, surely that's the job of killicks / reggies and what MAA is for? Out of training shouldn't we be big enough to be able to dress ourselves?

12. Bastion used to piss me off. RSM not letting lads in the DFAC for scran until they'd washed and put on freshly ironed kit. Never mind they've been in the bondu for a week, scran ends in 20 minutes and they're ****ed and hungry.

13. Lightweights and shirts OG should most certainly be ironed to razor creases where creases should be; but bloody cabbage suits, though. The first thing to happen to any of my berets was a neat removal of the lining. Anyway, the plastic Spec label doesn't take well to being boiled.

14. No one wears those any more POL and only time you see I've seen bootie in half lovetts these days is down CTC. I'll admit I have 2 berets, a "working" one, negative lining and a "parade" one with a silk lining in it.

15. Ensuring that sailors are smartly turned out is the responsibility of all those in a position of authority, unless they are happy for the Senior Service to be seen as a sloppy outfit by the other services?

16. Which was my point in the first place.

Bandwidth: wasted.

17. Ease to 10, my post was in response to #12.

18. sgtpepperband

Erm, nope. The responsibilities of the RN Police include:

a. [...]

b. The reporting of any incidents, offences, irregularities, causes of dissatisfaction orany other ill feeling that may arise amongst the ship's company.

c. Ensuring that all subordinate RNP staff carry out their duties with diligence and integrity and deal with emerging situations in an effective and pragmatic manner.

d. For proactive policing and enagaging in activiities that seek to deter any offences, on ship or ashore, that promote the ethos of good order and discipline amongst the ship's company (See QRRN Para 3602)

e. Maintaining a complete and auditable record of all lost and found property.and its continued retention or disposal (See QRRN Para J.3614)

QRRN 3602 states:

1. Every Commanding Officer is to ensure that the behaviour of personnel serving in the ship or establishment is always maintained in accordance with the highest standards of the service. It is the duty of every Officer, Warrant Officer, Chief Petty Officer, Petty Officer and leading rating of each branch of the Service to ensure that order and regularity are preserved in their vicinity among those officers and Service personnel, of whatever branch and whether they are on duty or not, who are junior to them in rank or rate; and the provisions of Para 0331 do not preclude them from giving any orders to such persons junior to them as are necessary to enable him/her to carry out this duty.

Furthermore, Chapter 35 refers to the duties and responsibilities of Senior Rates and Leading Hands:

3502. Leading Ratings

1. Leading Ratings of each branch and arm of the Service are an integral link in the command chain being the first ‘superior officer’; they are to be afforded both roles and status commensurate with this responsibility.

2. Duties.
    a. It is the duty of every Leading Rating of every branch of the Service to ensure that order and regularity are preserved in their vicinity among those ratings of whatever branch, whether on duty or not, who hold a rate junior to them. See Para 3602–
    Maintenance of good order.

b. They are responsible for promoting a high sense of values and standards, founded on the Naval Service core values, to all service personnel in their vicinity. Additionally, they are accountable to their Divisional Senior Ratings and Officers for the discipline, development, training and welfare of the able ratings in their charge. They are to be encouraged and expected to play an active role in the Divisional System. They should also utilise sport, adventurous training and other forms of recreation, which contribute towards the well being of their subordinates and the moral component of OC.

(Article 3501 for WOs, CPOs and POs says pretty much the same, with some embellishments)

Regulators are, primarily, LHs and SRs in their own Branch and thus are required to maintain good order, discipline and standards the same as their contemporaries. Wearing a Crown or carrying a warrant card allows them to conduct investigations but does not make them solely responsible for all matters of this nature. Regrettably there are far too many Killicks and Senior Rates (and some officers) who shirk in their duties and expect Reggies to do their nasty work for them. If you draw the salary then you should have the testes to do everything that the job expects of you. If every LH, SR and Officer did their job diligently, then there probably wouldn't be any need for the RN Police...

If only that were true. Just spend ten minutes standing outside the NAAFI in Nelson and look at the cultural difference between the matelots who have no respect for their own appearance in comparison to the members of the RMs (especially the Band Service) who maintain the highest standards at all times. Sometimes I used to despair at the state of some of the sad excuses for members of the Senior Service (of various ranks).

19. Many killicks would love to do this but its hard when many of the POs and CPOs look like the cast of Britains biggest loser just fell in to a manky old set of 8s.

• Like Like x 5
  20. sgtpepperband

Been there, done that. In the 'olden days' we used to conduct Dress Patrols around the Naval Base, in particular Main Gates (not the most taxing job but it got us out of the office when the NPM was chewing out the Duty RPO). I seemed to spend a lot of time near the bus shelter that used to be situated in the car park at the back of Nelson, next to Jervis Block, where people would wait for the shuttle bus. We were not exactly incognito yet we would frequently see scranbags loitering like cheap hookers in Canalstrasse. I once spoke collectively to a bunch of ABs about their standard of dress; once I had finished the Gypsy's Warning I asked a certain CPO to walk to one site with me so I could speak in private... and I gave him a related 'chat' about why he had neglected to pick them up rather than me. He replied: "But I don't start work until 0800..." :shock: :roll: