Telegraph: "Defence Cuts In Doubt Over Libya, Says Military Adviser"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Apr 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Libyan crisis has raised doubts about the Coalition’s defence review and could force ministers to reverse cuts including the scrapping of Britain’s Harrier jump jets, a senior military adviser has said.

Ha ha would love to see that happen but I doubt it will, the last thing the government want is to look incompetant

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Cameron CHOSE to get embroiled in Libya, it wasn't forced on us - he wanted to do a Blair.

3. Hell of a lot of ground running going on at Wittering!!!

4. The SDSR’s “unprecedented” cuts were based on an “assumption of conflict avoidance” that would keep Britain out of fresh military operations for a decade, Dr Dorman wrote in a magazine article. By committing British forces to action in Libya, the Government has gone against its own thinking on defence, he said.

The above extract from the article shows the government for what they are; buffoons.

5. Finks......Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.
    Why get all worked up about it, most politicians slip easily into your portrayal of "buffoons" and are masters in the art of deception and lies.
    Mr Prescott who wanted to abolish the House of Lords and despised the "gentry" was all too eager to take a peerage. Values mean nothing to them. We've had umpteen years under Blair/Brown and both had made an utter Balls up. Now let the other Bufoons have a crack at cocking it up... This lot are doing it with style and flair at present and the Expansion in commitments of our Armed Forces with much reduced assets cannot continue for long. These events took place after the review, now is the time for reflection..... Lets see how it pans out. I am forwarding you some Beta Blockers and some Valium

6. Who in turn was looking for a Thatcher\Falklands.

7. I don't expect "doing a Blair" was even on his radar flymo and you have got it pretty much spot on - he wanted to do a Thatcher/Falklands (ie a success story) rather than follow in the footsteps of Blair with his series of total disasters.

Only time will tell if he got it right

8. I recall Blair being quoted in his early days as PM as saying how he wonders how he\New Liabour would be remembered after his tenure in office ....

9. Is Libya not being funded by the FCO, not the MOD?

10. I don't think either of them have have any money it's ours the taxpayers, so ipso facto we are paying for it.