Telegraph: "Cutting Missile System Leaves Warships At Risk"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jun 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What type of ship is the type 26 future combat ships the report mentions?

2. --------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Global Combat Ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<<Royal Navy

The Royal Navy are expected to buy the class to replace the thirteen Type 23's at least one for one.[16] The first vessel is due to enter service with the Royal Navy by at least 2021. By the mid-2030s the Type 26 will be the backbone and workhorses of the Royal Navy.>>

Perhaps even coming to NZ too, Blobs:

<<...As of 31 January 2011 Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and Turkey had all expressed interest...>>

3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Blobby - "Global Combat", 5 of the batch multi purpose the remainder optimised for ASW inc the tails. The premise being (in general) existing kit is taken from a T23 and cross decked to a T26, then the T23 is decommissioned and the T26 commissioned. They have a pipeline set up for this.

Its a big platform, only marginally smaller than T45.

The CEC capability, although traded out now (to make the EP affordable - thats how its been 'balanced', SHAR, CVS, CEC....), could still be brought in down stream (unlikely unless the RN Brass grows a set), T45 and T26 are still to be fitted for and our liaison guy in the US is harvesting other parts of related work we can try and use as an interim measure.

4. Another bit of ill infomed journo shite. Capability an costings are way out!! Link X anybody?

5. wet_blobby

Cheers team. I can't see the RNZ navy getting the type 26 though, we've got ships tied up at the moment with no-one to man them due to budget cuts and cost saving. Makes you wonder what goes through the minds of the grown ups eh.

6. "The system is vital because enemy warships and incoming missiles can sometimes be masked by hilly coastal areas — such as in the Falklands, where the terrain of San Carlos Water meant that an incoming Exocet would not have been seen before it was too late."

PPI can see that the Exocet would be masked by hilly terrain when launched as one was against HMS Glamorgan, however in the confines of St Carlos water don't think the missile could be launched and acquire by an aircraft, if shore launched there would be too much interference from the terrain. Ballistic or other weapon experts probably know the weapons restrictions. Is Exocet still the threat or are there other missiles on the open market which are a greater threat?

7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Don't be too sure. You have a friend of mine and Kiwi Naval Officer on the staff at project. It is being designed with the export market in mind.

8. The loss of CEC is no biggie if you ask me. We don't need it.

9. wet_blobby

The optimisim of the upper deck, gotta love them. :)

10. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Depends, its one less way to interoperate with a USN battle group and given our lower numbers its one less advantage. For the price it offered a decent set of benefits that we will have to live without.

11. I suppose it depends on your future conflict forecast.

I personally see interoperability with a US battlegroup as not being a requirement anytime in the future. Plus, Link does enough. We don't need twitchy yanks pinging off our valuable and limited weapon systems from afar.

12. Thanks for the compliment Trelawney but I was never an "expert"; simply a gunbuster making sure my big bangy-thing was pointing in roughly the same direction as what the clever people with the computers and radar and stuff wanted it to.

13. There are much scarier things out there than Exocet.

14. Having been on the receiving end of one almost, think I'll stick to river cruising.

15. Sunburn, Brahmos and of course Dong Feng 21. The worlds first Anti Ship Ballistic Missile. Nice.

16. MoD response to the T'graph article:

"The Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC), which the paper was referring to, has not been cut; it was never in the committed core equipment programme.

The MOD's comprehensive assessment of the CEC informed the decision made during Planning Round 12 that it was not necessary to commit to purchasing the capability at this stage.

As the Defence Secretary made clear last month, the MOD budget has headroom of £8bn over the next 10 years for potential new programmes. The Armed Forces Committee will prioritise which projects to commit to when necessary, and not before.

The Type 45 destroyer provides a world-leading, state-of-the-art anti-air-warfare platform with a range of capabilities for defeating complex threats."

17. Well that's alright then lol! (That wasn't a dig at you Sol - thank you for updating the thread)