Telegraph: "Cockleshell Heroes: The Truth At Last"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Oct 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good find Soliel an interesting read.
  2. Mmmmm........ Malcolm Cavan has reappeared.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Summint we should know, Bergs..? :?
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A fantastic article. It really makes you think what people went through in the last war and the sacrifices that were made. I, for one, feel truly humbled everytime i read an article like this.
  5. That's great; because as a Pongo you have so much to be humble about. The Royal Marines held the line until weapons and equipment could be built to replace those that Perce had thrown away at Dunkirk, which in itself was just a dress rehearsal for the shenanigans of the British Army in Singapore, when 80,000 of your tribe carried out the biggest surrender in British history and joined their 50,000 comrades who had already surrendered on the Malay peninsular. :bball:
  6. Blackrat

It would have been different if i was around then you know.
  7. Much to learn of the Force have you young Padawan. Yet even the Blackest of Rats would not have mistaken the sound of Japanese bicycles for tanks. :thumbleft:
  8. Blackrat

The mind boggles. This rat is used to the sound of tankage. Although that was put to the test once. It turned out that an obese chef had nicked the Provost Sgt's mountain bike and it was not a 436 with tiller lock. :D
  9. Your bicycle audio recognition is a great skill young Jedi. Nurture it you must. But thank fcuk for the Royal Marines anyway :thumbright:

From Pacific Hegemony

The British Army was forced into a continuous retreat down the length of the Malayan Peninsular, punctuated by half-hearted attempts to form defensive lines .................... The British troops had been directed to regard the jungle as impenetrable and therefore neglected to extend their lines of defence into the jungle and were constantly outflanked and captured by the Japanese.

The Japanese, in an inspired tactic made use of the British built tarmac roads by supplying their troops with bicycles. Most soon lost their tyres and the clatter of hundreds of wheel rims was often mistaken for approaching tanks and caused many Allied troops to flee in panic.
  10. Bergen, Are bootnecks still bias ?. I've been out a long time. It's easy to slag off the pongos in singapore but we were'nt there. One thing that has always baffled me though is when you see a photo of Changi jail or a death march, there are tens of thousands of pongos standing around and only one or two japs, can anyone explain this ?. It's a myth that the big guns only pointed out to sea. They could traverse 360 degrees , and they did. The guns were fired into the jungle but the only shells available were armour piercing, next to useless of course. The pongos may not have been much use but to have endured what they did says an awful lot for them. yangtze_sailor06 :scratch: