Telegraph: "British Flotillas Prepared For Syria Evacuation"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jul 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will that be after the Paraolympics finishing in September. Rather suspect it will have reached a conclusion before then
  2. Good photograph of the Illustrious, a rather historic one , with the Harriers there.:laughing1:
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yay, more asylum seekers.
  4. Nah, it's alright. Just dump them off in Cyprus, as usual.

'smatterafack - The Republic of Cyprus does have a plan for just that.
  5. I suppose we might just about manage a Flotilla but plural is a little ambitious not to say optomistic.
  6. --------------------------------------------------------

The buzz is that the Medal designs have already been approved for this forthcoming heroic evacuation mission.

The 1,753-strong RAF Reconnaissance Group, to be based in their old hotels in Italy again, will all have first dibs.
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

1. The Brits will of course entirely understand the priority that makes them wait until the olympics are over.

2. Some folks are going to dip out on summer leave I think.
  8. It does make you wonder why we mothballed a certain LPD. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  9. What about the one we sold the Dinks.
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

and sold an LSD(A) to our Antipodean cousins.
  11. Evacuate who exactly?

Given that it's been going to sh1t for months now, you'd have thought that any UK citizens would have left the building by now.......
  12. Seadog

Not a boffin wrote
    from the link
  13. Compare with Op Highbrow only a few years ago, when a number of HM War Canoes evacuated large numbers from nearby when Lebanon went nipples vertical. It was all over in a couple of days but the beloved Crabs of RAF Akrotiri worked very hard also to accommodate and "process" the evacuees. The Army sent a small group of Parachuting-type medics who seemed intent on invading Lebanon personally.

I forget/never knew the exact eleigibility criteria but it includes, familes, relatives and other camp followers. We also "do" other nationalities we approve of e.g. Commonwealth countries, USA and France.
  14. And round we go again ... HMS Devonshire in '75 floating around off Beirut standing by to take off survivors/ refugees/UKcitizens/foreign nationals ... Landing Party all booted and spurred ... weapons under the bottom boards of the seaboat ... must have been serious as they gave me a loaded pistol (The Doc got a loaded weapon ... Run!!!!!) Stood down as it turned out the Brits had all scarpered at the earliest opportunity and the only ones left were the Septics Embassy staff who left by road. What we were going to do with one Whaler defeats me as the Skippers Huntress never even got near the water!
  15. Seadog

As Hungary is our protecting power in Syria, we'll be honour bound to pick up its citizens should the need arise.
  16. As stated earlier on in the thread any British passport holders with any sense should have bailed out by now, if not they are idiots. As for Syria I don't give a fishes tit, it's a civil war between the Shia and Sunni and none of our business let the buggers sort themselves out, too many of our Armed Forces lives have been lost by poking our noses in where it is not wanted. It's an Arab business and as far as I am concerned one side is as bad as the other so f..k em.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. It's a minority Alawite muslim sect holding all the power finks, and it's mainly Sunni's in the uprising (74% of the population). Syria has only a very small Shia's population and they're made up of 2 different sects..
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

18. Thanks for that, they are all Arabs so they can sort their fekin selves out; or not and don't the Alawites identify as Shiite?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012