Telegraph: "Armed Forces Drink 'To Point Of Oblivion', Minister Warns"

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, Apr 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A military culture of heavy drinking can see service personnel “drinking to the point of oblivion” a defence minister has admitted as she faced calls to scrap subsidised drink in military bars.

Anna Soubry told an MPs committee the Government should do more to rein in a boozing culture within the Armed Forces.

She also faced calls to end cut price alcohol on military bases after one MP complained she had once been charged only £1 for a treble gin and tonic while visiting troops on the Falkland Islands."

Armed Forces drink 'to point of oblivion', minister warns - Telegraph
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Why was an MP drinking treble Gin & Tonics in the Falklands? Does she have a drink problem?

Do Ministers have a subsidised bar in the Commons?

A very poor example to set, no matter the price.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. I'd always thought of it as a work hard play hard culture :s

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  4. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 4
  5. Anna Soubry is about 10 years too late. I see the Forces as no better or worse than civilians when it comes to drinking now. Also, if she's ordering triple gins she might want to take a look at herself.

Had she spoken up a decade ago I would have agreed with her.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Sprouts. That's what causes the problems.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Isn't drinking alcohol to excess part of our culture, as uncle Bob used to say when he was in the trenches, the two most important things when they were re-supplying the front line was ammunition and rum.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  8. Think the complaint here is not that she was "only" charged £1 for a cheeky G&T ... as a visiting, hard up, "can't put this on expenses" polli she probably thought she shouldn't have been charged at all ... so whinged at the AF Minister to put the prices up! Perhaps they should have slapped her with a bill for her air fare, landing charges and appropriate taxes as well.

As NS says ... don't they have a subsidised bar in the Commons ... I've never set foot in the place myself however I would wager that there are very few "single" measure poured with "doubles" and "trebles" being the norm! Then again she does get charged more in the Commons bar - I attach for colleagues enjoyment - the HoC Bar Tarriff for the Members Bar ... Gin £2:55 a shot! Bar Tariff 2012.06.22 v1.0.pdf.pdf

So obviously a case of "how come Jack gets away with DF prices when I can't"!
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Non-story. Surely there's an article about some bloke from somewhere who did something in the RN..?
  10. Obviously she hasn't been in any JRs bars recently.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Not until they start selling triple G&T's apparently.
  12. I doubt her expenses would allow it.
  13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Last drink I had before yesterday was in March. I stepped off the train straight into the boozer for a few jars, which as usual went down like a lead balloon. Anyway, many beers later, I woke up this morning with a mouth like a 60yr old prostitutes clacker and a pounding headache.

Can I put a claim in for compensation against the MOD, because this was obviously where I learnt this terrible binge drinking behaviour?
  14. I am afraid not, being a Royal Naval sponsored drinker does not give you the retrospective right to submit a claim.
  15. sgtpepperband

Apart from the RN I have worked with/for various commercial companies and organisations and I must say that the RN's alcohol/drug education and advisory policy and structure is commendable. Other industries are not quite as supportive with their own employees who succumb to drink-related problems that affect their work productivity.

Rather than trying to establish a name for herself, perhaps this particular MP should concentrate on the positive steps the Armed Forces have taken to promote healthy lifestyles and sensible attitudes to drinking.
  16. sgtpepperband

It seems our politicians want themselves to have a taxpayer-funded subsidy for their booze, but want to deny the same perk to the men and women they have sent to war.
  17. Surely this is a comment on the stupid amounts of tax we pay in alcohol duty in this country rather than on the pricing policy of the Falklands. All the MPA booze goes in by FIRS or airbridge. Therefore low volume/weight drinks like spirits are cheaper to get there, as opposed to beers. Combined with the differential in Pleasure Taxes, this makes spirits the drink of choice. The MP in question, Madeline Moon, probably would have found that the tonic in her G+T made up most of the pound. My drink of choice, Spicey, was 18p a shot in 2009, or 9p in happy hour. 6 shots in a pint glass, with a diet coke, around a pound, ergo alcohol 54p, diet coke about the same. This was due to being tasked as OIC Xmas, I did not drink for the other 5 of the 6 months i was there, choosing to put a stone on from free PJHQ funded scran instead.

I think a far more salient question to ask Anna Soubry would be: 'Do you know what the phrase mass resignations means, shipmate?' 'Come with us on Saturday love...we'll have you mooning out the back of the bus on the M3 in no time'.
  18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Trainer wrote.

For what reason does she warrant the term of address, 'shipmate'?
  19. sgtpepperband

She's a timber-shifting, WAFU rules-playin', snake eyes-throwin' scranbag. Maybe.
  20. It's all down to good basic training. I can well remember getting pissed as a rat in the NAAFI at Raleigh whilst doing my basic training and on leaving that erstwhile establishment falling straight down the grass bank onto the parade ground. The shock on landing caused me to spew my guts up onto that hallowed ground. Chief G.I. Pugh (anyone remember him?)would have turned my world to shit had he ever discovered it was me.