Telegraph: "Andrew St George On Lessons From The Navy"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jun 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

"I do wish Nelson would stop signalling - we all know what to do" - one of his Captains.
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I have a copy to review for NavyNet. So far I think its bilge, regurgitated "advice" and boring prose taken from existing leadership guidance. Nothing new and nothing that should have taken 4 years to produce. A large portion is taken up with reflective 'advice' from current and recently serving personnel.

His description of the RN "
    It runs on high emotional intelligence alongside the command and control that sets the framework for operations. " is probably contrary to the experience that many Junior Officer, Senior Rates and Junior Rates have received. He rattles on about "soft skills" and "emotional intelligence", they're simply not displayed by the majority of our "leaders".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  3. No mention of the 'cough and spasm' - oh wait, they don't do that ny more!

But that article is a HELL of a good one for the RN. Will they capitalise on it? I seem to recall that way back in the mists of time, several fire and police srvices sent people to POLC. Does this still go on?

Can you imagine a stereotypical merchant banker doing something arduous with 20 pissed off matelots?
  4. ...Collingwood (HMS Royal Sovereign), seeing the flags, said, “I wish Nelson would stop signaling. We know well enough what to do”—but when the whole signal was read to him, he approved it cordially enough...

England Expects, Nelson Confides - Lapham’s Quarterly
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Whats this rubbish about trust and downward delegation. Have these people never tried to do a travel claim recently - at the moment I'm not allowed to travel to meetings in Pompey unless I get a 1* sign of. Surely its upwards delegation?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Captain Shackleton? He was a master mariner but sailed as third officer with Union Castle. I think that he made Lieutenant in the RNR but the suggestion that he is/was a naval hero is pushing it.

Andrew St George wrote

Sounds familiar: see my signature. The more senior one gets, the more dribblespeak one has in one's vocabulary.

I'm not convinced by his description of Mission Command either.

7. As I recall there were some trawler men there when I did my course.
  8. Ironically we spent quite a lot of money commissioning this guff. It came about as part of the 'grit' agenda, but in true RN style it took forever to finish, missed the boat and is broadly irrelevant.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

And then there is the latest twaddle from MB, be it-do it-say it? Something like that. I asked a 2* about this recently and made a similar point to yours and his only response was "you're empowered, fix it". Speechless. But then again I know for certain he won't use JPA and is disconnected from reality.
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

WD - check the Defence Bulletin Board (PM me for a link) on DII to see just how well 'be think do' has been received.

I think its up there with 'right lads, next stop Moscow' as a sensible strategic mission...