Telegraph: Aircraft carrier costs will be half what you think, US tells ministers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fishface, Mar 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

2. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

This bit was a surprise to me...

" Reverting to jump jets for both of them would not help American military planners, who want to be able to base a squadron of their own jets on a British carrier.
    Separate accommodation is being built on board HMS Prince of Wales with communications facilities that would be for “US Eyes Only”."

3. Possibly because the "surprising" bits are bollocks....

4. I think it would be in the interest of the Royal Navy and the UK in general to come up with a clear strategy that defines what the mission of the Royal Navy should be in the next generation...In the states, we were told that we should have a force structure to conduct TWO Desert Storm-like operations simultaneously. And, then we proceeded to have our largest peacetime draw-down and base closure era in peacetime history. The US military deactivated or reduced relevant platforms and weapons that were a part of this strategy. Now, once again we are being told that another painful round of cuts is coming in spite of the fact that the world is a very dangerous place for us (UK/USA/NATO) and it isn't the middle-east either...I believe the country is one that starts with C and ends with A...Our natural enemy in spite of what anyone say's about trade...

5. Canada ? :brushteeth:

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Cuba?

I thought you fellas had that one sorted?

7. Colombia? Do we need F-35 to fight the war on drugs?

8. Cambodia? Haven't you had enough of that part of the world yet?

• Like Like x 1

9. Unorthodox I know but how about if NATO stopped kicking off with people and declaring "diplomacy has failed" and lobbing ourselves at unnecessary wars?

Maybe if we didn't try and pre-empt the huge growing evil and dispensing our boys for **** all we could maybe just chill the **** out and let nature take it's course? We are not the world's police, nor are we Judge Judy and executioner over others. Note the countries we have ignored (**** them, nowt to gain).

Pack in the self righteousness, sort our own problems, allow puffs of smoke that have cock all to do with us to disperse. Serenity.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I'm with you mate...

11. "You may decide that you are no longer interested in war, in which case you will discover that war will very soon become interested in you."

Can't remember who said that but it has the ring of truth about it, complacency is not an option IMHO.

12. With the exception of defending the Falklands (which is now debatable) does the Royal Navy really need a single aircraft carrier to defend the UK in the 21st century. After all such large surface ships are very vulnerable to attack by land, submarine and aircraft launched cruise missiles. Furthermore the RN will only have one operational aircraft carrier during the 2020's whereas the US have at least ten or eleven such ships at present.

13. Until the vote is over, if you mess with Caledonia you are going to have to take on Albion as well! Be warned!

14. I wish I could tell you that you are wrong, but I can't; "C" is aggressively modernizing their weapons systems (with technology stolen from the west), as well as developing a MASSIVE industrial base. They also recently purchased a used aircraft carrier from the Russians, so you will likely see reverse-engineered copies projecting "C"s power in the Pacific in the near future. I'm hoping (and praying) that things get better over here after the next election; cutbacks prevented me from getting a commission in the Corps, forced me off active duty six years later, and then eventually caused my squadron to be axed and parted out- I'm not a fan of cutbacks.

15. wet_blobby

China owns America. Why bother with fisty cuffs?

P.S.. Welcome to RR Jarhead. (Even if you are a pilot :) )

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Come on chaps, you know what the cousins are like for murdering the English language, they are talking about Corea! (North)

17. wet_blobby

The Irish Americans are still wondering where the slitty eyed fcukers are hiding in Kenya.

18. I think he means closer to home in Costa Rica

19. Seperate accomodation and communication facilities for "US Eyes Only"..... f**k off and get on your own aircraft carrier.

20. You're right, China definitely has the deed to the ranch. We will probably fight it out anyway; it's the American way, you know. I was a maintenance type; 6073 Ground Support Electrician. But I'd given my left nut to fly an F/A-18, provided I could still pass the flight physical.Glad to be aboard.