Teeth and brace.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bestyj, Jun 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello , im besty and 17. just finishing my application to RN as an AET.
    got my test score perfect and interview is done.
    now im waitin for my medical 2moro. jst wondering if im allowed in with a brace on.
    i had a rugby injury this year on my teeth and got a brace as result and its basically holdin my teeth in and movin them back to position. alright for sum.
    so just wondering if i can still go to basic with this on. or am i gona have to wait till its off.
    cheers to any1 who has info.
  2. Sorry betsy, I don't know the specific answer to your query, but this was posted yesterday on the Newbie forum, and may be helpful:

I am a civvie nurse, and at a GUESS, I would think if the problem with your teeth was as a result of injury and not a chronic problem, and providing you are getting the appropriate treatment (which sounds like you are) then you should be fine.

Witholding any information about your current state of health can result in medical discharge, so that's also something to consider.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Besty,

I'm not a medic however the rough rule of thumb is that you have to complete any treatment before you can be passed fit for entry. See what the Doc says, he may see it differently if you have a confirmed date for removal of the brace.

The way to look at is, you'll be better off when your teeth are back in place- so don't consider cutting short your treatment- you'll regret it.

Best of luck!
  4. right on guys. basically i can proceed with doin the fitness test and will be allowed in as soon as there off. and i got a rough idea of a date in august they will be off.
    as im going for AET anyway aparently its 5-6 months till im in. so got plenty off time.

cheers besty
  5. Good for you bestyj! Good luck as well. Pinta x
  6. cheers now! x
  7. What are the rules for entry with fillings? I need one doing and haven't been able to visit a dentist since my dad left the RAF as there isn't an NHS dentist round these parts.

8. Thought of asking Daddy to pay for it?
  9. Haha, hard enough getting a tenner off him. I know my brother needed his doing before he went in - looks like I'll be depleting my car fund (again)