Teenagers' tantrums: it's all in the brain

Shakey

War Hero
I saw some research once that suggested a person's brain isn't properly mature until they reach eighteen or so.

They showed teenagers pictures of people with various expressions on their face. One that the sixteen/seventeen year olds always got wrong was fear. They interpreted it as surprise.

However, lacking a fully functioning brain is not a defence against bad behaviour IMHO.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
imon - Understood and my own apologies for the rant. Some of the comments (not just yours) struck a nerve.

I get really chinned off when I listen to people who point at my boy and tut in places like the supermarket. This often happens when he is doing a complete whirling dervish and no one steps in to help out. Instead they all stop, stare and shake their heads. How I've managed to avoid clocking one of them before now I don't know.

It's worse for the wife because she has him to herself for six months.

SF

imom1406

War Hero
Mine have done that in the past too, you sometimnes just have to let them burn it out....i think it's called emotional flooding....big emotions in a small boy!!

As long as they can't hurt themselves, screw what onlookers think and say!

SILVER_FOX said:
I read with interest many of the comments above. As a parent with one child who suffers from a severe combination of Autism and ADHD I can say that it, whilst it is all in the mind (chemical unbalance, etc) it is not a case of my son being naughty, nor a reflection on my parenting skills. Some kids are just unfortunate in being born this way, some are not. Some children are bad by choice and some by the training inflicted by their parents over a prolonged period of time.

Yes it appears that there are many more problem children in today's world but then the medical types have just become better at identifying and diagnosing them. I don't want to get into the whole tripple jab theory.

To those of you who have children who are not as unfortunate - lucky you; but don't make disparaging "old man like" remarks about something which the majority of you know little or nothing about and thank God daily that your families have never had to experience the effects on a daily basis.

SF

Sorry if I caused any offence SF.

In fact sometimes you can be labelled as having a learning difficulty and that label is used to try to deny you a normal life. Shakey seems to know a bit about the condition I have - all the medical textbooks label all of us as being mildly mentally handicapped, suffering from infantalism and incapable of achievement! Well some of us have been to University (at our own expense) and obtained Firsts; held down a full-time job and been in the Auxiliary forces. Having a developmental disorder does not necessarily preclude a person from being capable... or taking responsibility. It depends upon the severity.

Steve.

BeerBad

Lantern Swinger
SILVER_FOX said:
no one steps in to help out

SF, just curious as to what you mean by this statement. If I witness somebody having difficulty with a child, unless there is obvious abuse or anything of that nature, I walk by and do not pay any attention. My reasoning being that the situation is already stressful enough for the adult and child that the last thing that is needed is a stranger butting in. There is also the fact that the adult being stressed may shift targets. What help can someone offer?

I echo the apologies too SF, my children share classes with ADHD sufferers and I know the condition is only too real. My comments re selfish parenting were aimed at the parents of children within the same class who choose to forget most of the time that they have children and therefore responsibilities. Going off on a slight tangent the parent of an ADHD child asked me about the recruitment process the other day. Her son has his heart set on the Navy and she was wondering if this was going to be achievable. She knew he had to be off medication for at least 2 years first but I was unable to offer much help except put her in touch with AFCO.

imom1406

War Hero
According to my Psychiatrist (don't ask!) all males are mildly autistic...something to do with map reading parking cars and focus (old hunter instincts)....!

imom1406 said:
According to my Psychiatrist (don't ask!) all males are mildly autistic...something to do with map reading parking cars and focus (old hunter instincts)....!

I don't think Simon Baron-Cohen, one of the top researchers in this field, would agree with your trickcyclist here. People with the condition I have appear to be mildly autistic, more so that the general male population at least, but upon testing this is statistically insignificant. That said, autistic disorders are X-linked and are more common in males. But then we're the more vulnerable sex. :wink:

SILVER_FOX said:
imon - Understood and my own apologies for the rant. Some of the comments (not just yours) struck a nerve.

I get really chinned off when I listen to people who point at my boy and tut in places like the supermarket. This often happens when he is doing a complete whirling dervish and no one steps in to help out. Instead they all stop, stare and shake their heads. How I've managed to avoid clocking one of them before now I don't know.

It's worse for the wife because she has him to herself for six months.

SF

SF

I am afraid it is something the modernists have brought upon society. As a white male, over 45, I would not step in to help any person with a child or any child who was alone unless accompanied by an adult, independent, female witness for fear of any accusations being leveled at me and then the old no smoke without a fire syndrom kicks in

Nutty

I'm afraid Nutty's right here SF! Females can intervene but any male who intervenes is automatically viewed suspiciously. As a gay bloke I avoid having whatsoever to do with children (unless they are stuffed and safely displayed behind glass in the Natural History Museum) - I even refuse to donate to children's charities so great is my paranoia. Mind you, I still avidly collect anything to do with the G-Place - I have a good collection of mess deck blocks for example, from different messes - so clearly I must have some sort of pervy tendencies! :wink: