Technical Post

There doesnt seem to be a forum for this sort of thing but being an ex WAFU, there may be some interesting replies.

It crossed my mind the other day when i was thinking about the friendly fire problem, that we are about to (certainly in Scotland) bring in this spy in the sky for motorists, Can tell where you are, your speed and position and everything else that it entails, Instead of painting tops of our vehicles orange ,or as well as, how difficult would it be in this day and age, to fit this equipment into military vehicles and use our awac planes?

If anyone picks up on this i claim my £25 from the Herbert Lott Fund.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
There doesnt seem to be a forum for this sort of thing but being an ex WAFU, there may be some interesting replies.

It crossed my mind the other day when i was thinking about the friendly fire problem, that we are about to (certainly in Scotland) bring in this spy in the sky for motorists, Can tell where you are, your speed and position and everything else that it entails, Instead of painting tops of our vehicles orange ,or as well as, how difficult would it be in this day and age, to fit this equipment into military vehicles and use our awac planes?

If anyone picks up on this i claim my £25 from the Herbert Lott Fund.

It's already out there Hig, it's called Bowman, and you don't need the AWAC aircraft

ex_wasp_L2

Lantern Swinger
I see no reason (apart from cost, weight space and lead times of items and the modification) that IFF or a varient thereof could be fitted. But then the squaddies (bless their cotton socks) would have to be trained to use it which again costs money. So in the long run it all comes down to money or the lack of it as we are always being told. I may be wrong on this and plse correect me if I am

chieftiff

War Hero
ex_wasp_L2 said:
I see no reason (apart from cost, weight space and lead times of items and the modification) that IFF or a varient thereof could be fitted. But then the squaddies (bless their cotton socks) would have to be trained to use it which again costs money. So in the long run it all comes down to money or the lack of it as we are always being told. I may be wrong on this and plse correect me if I am

And the fact that IFF is a transmitter! Never a good idea to transmit your position when you are sneeking around in the undergrowth trying to blend in with the wildlife :oops:

jancox

Badgeman
ex_wasp_L2 said:

Correction is.... Only one 'e' in correction and 'Fly Navy DIG ARMY Walk Sideways' .........

jungle_jim

Lantern Swinger
i think you might be suprized to know that IFF has come on a little, and can now be used in a secure mode. BFTs are cheap, simple and small so why they do not buy enough for all platforms in green, dark blue and light blue.
also when ever new systems are introduced training of the engineers is way down in the priorities list that they tend to be forgotton. as long as the operators are ok then who gives a stuff about the engineers

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
jungle_jim said:
i think you might be suprized to know that IFF has come on a little, and can now be used in a secure mode...

Irrespective of being secure or insecure it still transmits - it therefore generates an electromagnetic signature and no matter how good your camo, you can be detected. Secure is not the same as stealthy.

FlagWagger said:
jungle_jim said:
i think you might be suprized to know that IFF has come on a little, and can now be used in a secure mode...

Irrespective of being secure or insecure it still transmits - it therefore generates an electromagnetic signature and no matter how good your camo, you can be detected. Secure is not the same as stealthy.

If you cannot use transmitters, orange panels on top of your vehicles or information sent to your allied colleagues we can pretty much assume that we're fcuked then!