Teacher released!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Daktari, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. KHARTOUM (AFP) - Sudan has released a British woman given a presidential pardon after being jailed for insulting religion and handed her over to British embassy officials, an embassy spokesman said Monday.

Sudanese President Omar al-Beshir signed the pardon after meeting two British Muslim peers who flew to Khartoum on a mercy mission to petition for Gillian Gibbons's early release after she was jailed for 15 days on Thursday.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown welcomed the news of her pardon, saying he was "delighted and relieved" and that Gibbons would now be handed over to the British embassy in Khartoum "after what must have been a difficult ordeal".

"She was pardoned thanks to the mediation of Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi. She will be released in about an hour," presidential advisor Mahjoub Fadl Badri told AFP as Beshir met the Muslim peers at the Republican Palace.

Gibbons, a mother of two who has only been in Sudan a few months, was arrested eight days ago after parents at the exclusive English school where she taught complained that she allowed young children to name the bear Mohammed.

The British Muslim peers thanked Sudan and all those working behind the scenes for the pardon, and conveyed apologies from Gibbons for any offence she may have unwittingly caused.

"In the name of Allah the compassionate and the most merciful, I would like to begin by thanking the president for granting this pardon. I want to thank everyone involved who has given help," Lord Nazir Ahmed told reporters.

"As British Muslim parlementarians, we, Baroness Warsi and myself, feel proud we have been able to secure Gillian Gibbons's release.

"We hope that British aid to Sudan continues and relations between our two countries will not be damaged by this incident, in fact this should be a way to strengthen relations."

Reading out a statement on the teacher's behalf, Baroness Warsi said Gibbons was deeply sorry for any offence caused and that she had great respect for Islam.

"I have been in Sudan only four months but I have enjoyed myself immensely. I have encountered nothing but kindness and generosity from the Sudanese people.

"I have great respect for the Islamic religion and would not knowingly offend anyone and I'm sorry if I caused any distress," she said, adding that she would "miss terribly" the friends she had made in Sudan.

"I'm very sad to think they have been distressed by these events. I want to express my thanks to all," Warsi added

Can we infer then that the discontinuing of British Cash spondoolies was actually in danger of being withdrawn??

And from the Daily Mail

"But the fact remains that, in response to this persecution of a British citizen under Islamic sharia law, the Foreign Secretary's craven response was to say how much Britain respected IslamIt took four days from her arrest before he summoned the Sudan ambassador, and after she was jailed he summoned him again to express 'in the strongest terms' his concern.

Mr Miliband should have thrown the ambassador and every Sudanese diplomat out of the country, cancelled all visas and stopped British aid to Sudan.

And he should also have denounced the religious precepts which produced such a barbaric response to a preposterously imagined slight.

Moreover, the only reason Mrs Gibbons was placed in this predicament at all was because, for more than two decades, the British Government has kow-towed to the Islamist rogue regime in Sudan."

also ..

"This is a cynical assault on the most fundamental beliefs that the West holds dear. So why has our Government's response been so pathetic? The Foreign Office's inability to prevent this scandal is a national disgrace.

Britain could have threatened to stop the £326 million we give Sudan in aid, and revoke the 2,000 Sudanese visas we hand out each year. We could have expelled the Sudanese ambassador and called for our international allies to make clear their contempt.

But apart from the FO's natural instinct always to appease bullies, the problem is that when it comes to international diplomacy, Britain no longer has any moral authority - it was squandered in Iraq.

The lesson of this story? With her desire to better the world through education, Gillian Gibbons represents the best of British values.

But our supine Foreign Office now shows Britain at its worst: a nation that no longer has the courage or influence to stand up to those who wish us evil. "
  2. Anyone else spot this quote?
    The real point I think

"We hope that British aid to Sudan continues......"
  3. This was all political as Sharia only applies to Muslims. Applying Sharia to an infidel goes against the teachings of the Prophet - that's the real blasphemy, by the so-called Muslims of Sudan.
  4. Can we turn the shithole into glass now?
  5. I wonder if she brought any rabbits home, such as the madatory camel stool.
  6. As I said on another thread - it's time for UK plc to stop giving financial aid to foreign governments, because we can't be sure where the money is going. We should invest in definite projects or provide expertise instead of cash.
  7. Its time that we said no and why did we send two muslums out there is that a true rep of our country I dont think so come on for God sake lets put the Great back in GB!!!!!!!!!
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. I pray you don't mean in the medical sense!

10. But does the reality that our blasphemy law could be used in a similar way by religious zealots (and has been not that long ago) make us any different
  11. So we have mass protests in the street waving big shives and routinely cut peoples head off?
  12. WE have threatened people with considerable jail sentences for offending the sensibilities of the more rabid christians and have had violent mobs protesting in the streets trying to close down cultural venues, the level of extremism may not be quite the same but the principle is.
  13. sgtpepperband

Aah, but as Western Christians are we not taught to "turn the other cheek"? :?
  14. Indeed but various forms of god botherer tend to be selective about the bits that are really important
  15. sgtpepperband

Proving that Fundamentalists - Christian AND Islamic - are manipulative sociopaths, regardless of which side of the faith fence they sit... 8O
  16. Sgtpb I could'nt agree more. I personally dont believe in a Supeme Being - much to families disgust due to Grandfather being Methodist Minister ( All Hell Fire & Brimstone) and Cousin (AKA Holy Jo) being something big in York Minster .. but having digressed I think the scientific "Big Bang Theory" is more in like with reality. In fact as ar as the rag heads are concerned - the bigger bang the better!
  17. Quite so, but why leave out the Jews who can be pretty strange about things too.
  18. sgtpepperband

Well yes of course, but as this story was about the difference in cultural/religious values between a predominantly Christian Britain and a Muslim Sudan, I referred to those religions only...
  20. I'll confess that I don't know a great deal about Judaism and it's associated philosophy, but are you perhaps thinking of Bishop Ussher and his chronology?

The young earth creationists have come up with all kinds of contrived garbage to explain that.

It's all about politics and control. I'd agree that the structures around the philosophies are control mechanisms, but that doesn't detract from the philosophies themselves.