Tattoo's

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by KoNaNz, Oct 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or if this question has been answered but:
    Where can you have tattoo's when your going in the Navy? I'm wanting to have one before I go in but I don't have any idea where I can have one.

Any help would be appreciated!
    -Matt

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not compulsary, some grown ups go through their service without ever needing one.
    (awaiting incoming!)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Not on face, neck, hands, anywhere visible when wearing one of the uniforms (not sure which one). If you get one on your foot it will make it hard to train for a bit as well, it swells and if you wear shoes/socks that rub while it is peeling then the colour won't take as well. Ask your AFCO if in doubt, pretty sure you have to let them know as well so they can update your tattoo sheet thingy. Not worth getting it before entry if it will jeopardize your chances, especially when you will have plenty of opportunities to get a load of crap ones when you are in :D

4. Eligibility | How to join | Royal Navy

5. Bellend
    You decide whether this is a comment on where to position it or yourself.XD

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What always surprises me is the amount of applicants that ask and are told the boundaries, but still try to push the boundaries.

This is a good example of it:Navy bar on Gary's tattoo | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys

The cost of tattoo removal is infinitely higher & more time consuming than getting the original ink.

7. Just be sensible as long as it is not visible in a long sleeve shirt and does not cause offence then as far as my understanding of the rules you will be fine.

8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. I know I don't need to get one, but the amount of people against it is massive (even when not joining the services). Either way thanks for the replies!

10. I went to the arches in Pompey many years back with a mate. My mate Brian had a few done before and was having a panther up his forearm. I had chosen a welsh dragon for my upper arm. Brian went first and I saw the pain in his face, from that moment I though, no way and never did get one!

However I did pay 15 quid towards an anchor on one of our killicks arse cheeks.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

11. Why not be different? Don't have one.
    The best they will ever look is about a month after completion. After that it's all down hill, until you are left with a blue blotch on your skin.
    Done lots of things over the years when I was in the Mob. But, the only regret I have, is getting Tattooed.

12. True ref the blue blotch. We had a chief at Daedalus who had a cabbage tattooed on his forearm, on questioning him he said "in time all tattoos look like cabbages so I thought I'd beat the ageing process". My regret is not having one, but I can live with the pain. :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. I have to say I dont get this tatoo thing myself but each to their own. After being in the RN 1 1/2 years now jeez has it been that long , my kid has added to her collection of terrible tats lol. I dont think it has anything to do with the RN tbh she is just nuts. Ok she has a verse from heart of oak, a bull with "look on the bright side" and a sailing frigate with some other navy blx on it lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. exJenny

Watching Ch 4 now. Programme called My Tattoo Addiction. Only 30 secs in and I conclude i do not want a tattoo!!!

15. I have one on my foot, took 4 hours but wasn't too bad until the last 15 minutes or so as my foot had already started to swell. The next day it was tender and swollen, glad i stuck to the aftercare though as a few years on still happy with it and luckily (touch wood) it has kept its colour nicely and a nice crisp outline as well. Don't reckon i would get anymore though, i liked the peeling process though as rank as that sounds haha.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Does your daughter have a camel tattooed on her toe yet? A lot of sailors seem to have them. Not that i have seen a lot of their feet. Ahemmm.

17. Got one on my foot as well.

Well, it's not quite a foot...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ludo perchance?

19. exJenny

WHY......?

20. Is it on your penis?