Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rikbones, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the deal with tattoos? I know that the literature says no visible tattoos, but it also says any tattoos that are considered oversized will result in a rejection (or words to that effect). I have a tattoo which covers the top half of my back. Does anyone know if that would be considered a bar to entry?
  2. Just to add, the tattoo contains nothing offensive... Its quite similar to this...
  3. can't see that being a problem mate i have 9 tatts including my forearms and didn't have any dramas.
  4. Ok cool, nice one mate!
  5. the guy with the most tattoos onboard is affecionately known as PICTURES :wink: :wink: gen
  6. This has been done before............
  7. Kinell
    How much did a gash tat like that cost you?
    If it was more than a tenner you were seen off :p
  8. Ha ha, it was £300, not the best job on the tattooists behalf either :x
  9. Ah you must be from the Wikkiwampum clan of the Navahos of Wales.
    Class mate, pure class, why not get a full Maori Moko (Facial) tattoo as well it would have as much relevance.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The basic answer is that it's at the discretion of your Careers Adviser whether your tattoo is considered acceptable.

Those considering having tattoos are simply advised that there are a huge variety of jobs that have an issue with them, not just the Armed Forces.

If you want to have a tattoo first, and later consider your employment prospects afterwards, then possibly your priorities are arse about face - as depicted in the tattoo above.
  11. I regrettably have a small letter K on my wedding finger no bigger than half an inch.

Would this be acceptable to be covered by a wedding band or plaster on parade? or is it pure and simple no entry into the royal navy?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Simply ask at your nearest AFCO & pray it's not me that you are asking. :lol:
  13. Yeah I spoke to the Portsmouth AFCO when I went in. I was aware and he did point that no tattoos on the hands. It was however suggested by the same officer I saw, - that its looks small enough to be covered by a wedding band - if need be im more than happy to wear a cheapy band if its going to cause refusal to my application.

Any further advances on that with experiencing similar situations?
  14. On topic -ish. Where is the best place to get one done (as in artist not anatomy) as I would like to get one relating to my daughter (name, dob, etc) and have never had "ink" before. I Imagine Portsmouth or Devonport must have some good tattoo parlour's? Should I PM Thingy?
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, good job it was only an issue with regard Tattoos at Portsmouth AFCO- otherwise there could be a problem.

As long as you are married & entitled to wear a wedding band whilst in uniform (that covers the offending inking), there's nowt to worry about.

If however, you need to get married to be entitled, then there are options far less expensive or painfull.
  16. What would be the official position on a tattoo along ones member done in 1" letters and reading "all for you my darling" ? would this be allowed?
  17. Doggystyle I reckon, although maybe missionary.
  18. Black 2 Blue

Not sure where you're from but there's a tattooist by me called andy morris work's in my dad's mates shop and part of something called native ink, you can google to see his sight but really doesn't do him justice. He's travelled all over tattoing got numerous award's and garver from miami ink got him to do him a tattoo, he would be brilliant for a portrait style piece of your daughter, just done a jesus head on my cousin and although the hair is a cover up it still looks excellent, he's based in the west midlands though. If you're interested in this thing there's a show up in manchester this March which i myself am going although i have no tattoo's.
  19. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Tats,,,, I have never understood peoples need to painted. Each to there own I say, but its a shame how many years later, they regret that tat.

20. -Which im not happily, although unhappy in this circumstance (where's a bloody wife when you need one?) I assume a plaster or masking tape around the small upper part of my finger wouldn't do it.. would it..

-Agreed :cry: