Tattoos

Gazza82

Lantern Swinger
#1
Hello all
Wonder if you could help out on this question I've got..
Would I be allowed to get tattoo's once I've joined up or in the waiting phase? Or would I be risking my career?
If I would be risking anything then I defo wouldn't get a tattoo, wouldn't be worth risking my career.
But If I could in certain spots on my body, where would I be allowed to have them and what type of tattoos would or wouldn't I be allowed?
 
#2
Gazza82 said:
Hello all
Wonder if you could help out on this question I've got..
Would I be allowed to get tattoo's once I've joined up or in the waiting phase? Or would I be risking my career?
If I would be risking anything then I defo wouldn't get a tattoo, wouldn't be worth risking my career.
But If I could in certain spots on my body, where would I be allowed to have them and what type of tattoos would or wouldn't I be allowed?
Tattoos are fine and many serving personnel have them. Its really down to common sense. Nothing on your face, hands or neck - nothing racist or offending. Stick to that and you should be fine.

Just as long as your not planning something crazy like the Globe and Laurel capbadge before you join the Royal Marines!!! :threaten:
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
#4
It makes sense to wait until you get through basic training, have another think then. Always bear in mind they need to be hidden under normal circumstances, a lot of civvy occupations don't like to see them
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#5
The stated policy is:

"Tattoos:

Any tattoo which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos should not be visible on the head & neck. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattos".


OK & then common sense:

A tattoo is in effect an open wound which is highly susceptable to infection, not least hepatitus. A "raw" tattoo is ill advised for phase one training, particularly when you consider that you will be getting very wet in muddy water from time to time!

A tattoo proclaiming your undying affection for a particular football team could be found offensive by some elements of society.

The reason you fill out a tattoo proforma at medical is that if another (unacceptable) tattoo appears before you join, then you can be discharged under the stated policy.

The other salient point is that a tattoo makes you identifiable - a consideration for some maybe wishing to enter a specialisation in which anonimty is highly desirable.
 
#7
Can I offer a bit of advice? DON'T DO IT!!
I had a few tattoos after I joined up, and thought I was the canines testicles, whereas in fact I must have looked like a complete Pratt! I even had the old traditional "Swallows" on my hands, which even to this day you can't hide when you're booted and suited for a posh night out.
When I went into commercial flying, I always had to wear flying gloves to conceal them from the clients (I did Corporate Charter), and also had to wear long sleeved shirts even in summer.
If I had my time over again, and had the benefit of hindsight, I'd never have had even one! Think very carefully my friend - once you've had one, it's there for life!
 
#8
I've seen some horrors!! One that sticks in my mind was a young dabber on the Invinicble in the early 90's had a tattoo of an 'Ever Ready' battery with HMS ININVICLBE tattooed above it on his arm. Needless to say he regretted within weeks of having it done.
 
#10
Ninja_Stoker said:
The stated policy is:

"Tattoos:

Any tattoo which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos should not be visible on the head & neck. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattos".


OK & then common sense:

A tattoo is in effect an open wound which is highly susceptable to infection, not least hepatitus. A "raw" tattoo is ill advised for phase one training, particularly when you consider that you will be getting very wet in muddy water from time to time!

A tattoo proclaiming your undying affection for a particular football team could be found offensive by some elements of society.

The reason you fill out a tattoo proforma at medical is that if another (unacceptable) tattoo appears before you join, then you can be discharged under the stated policy.

The other salient point is that a tattoo makes you identifiable - a consideration for some maybe wishing to enter a specialisation in which anonimty is highly desirable.[/quote]

My bold

Unless your tattoo is a black strip accross your eyes!! :thumright:

http://thumb7.webshots.net/s/thumb1/7/50/99/11475099rbfwnYMApF_th.jpg
 
#11
Ninja_Stoker said:
skyvet said:
Can I offer a bit of advice? DON'T DO IT!!
Wise words.

Funnily enough it tends to be more females that have tattoos than blokes at present.
Do you have to check the match the description given?

Once knew a wren who had 'Pay as you enter' and an arrow tattoed appropriately on one of her thighs, and boefore you ask , no I didn't.
 
#12
Maxi_77 said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
skyvet said:
Can I offer a bit of advice? DON'T DO IT!!
Wise words.

Funnily enough it tends to be more females that have tattoos than blokes at present.
Do you have to check the match the description given?

Once knew a wren who had 'Pay as you enter' and an arrow tattoed appropriately on one of her thighs, and boefore you ask , no I didn't.
You still got her number by any chance Maxi? :hump: :lick: :thumright:
 
#13
spenny said:
Maxi_77 said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
skyvet said:
Can I offer a bit of advice? DON'T DO IT!!
Wise words.

Funnily enough it tends to be more females that have tattoos than blokes at present.
Do you have to check the match the description given?

Once knew a wren who had 'Pay as you enter' and an arrow tattoed appropriately on one of her thighs, and boefore you ask , no I didn't.
You still got her number by any chance Maxi? :hump: :lick: :thumright:
Sorry, chucked all those old things away when I remarried.

:eek:ccasion5:
 

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
#15
I agree wholeheartedly with Skyvet, I had tattoos done as a teenage Jack the lad, the swallows on the hand I have since had removed but they have left a scar, as you get older the colours fade and they look very unattractive. Take my word and that of others think very seriously before indulging and then DONT.
 
#16
Bluetot said:
I agree wholeheartedly with Skyvet, I had tattoos done as a teenage Jack the lad, the swallows on the hand I have since had removed but they have left a scar, as you get older the colours fade and they look very unattractive. Take my word and that of others think very seriously before indulging and then DONT.
I must admit I am very pleased I failed to sucumb to the temptation as a youngster and as a result have none. Admire the good ones on other people, and use the bad ones as a reminder of what you could do to yourself.
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
#18
I think you've had some good advice so far, tattoos will and should always be a personal choice, don't get one done just because they are currently fashionable and common sense says wait until after you have completed all of your training.

That being said I have 4, the two I had done as a teenager I regret, in fact so much so that I have had them covered. The two (plus the cover ups) I have now are pieces of art, I sought out the best tattooist I could find and travelled the country to get them done, I love them (especially the large one on my back) they were very very expensive. In each case I decided what I wanted, contacted the tattooist to sketch it up, altered it and went to see the tattooists work, then I had them done. A tattoo is for life, I would suggest a year is a reasonable amount of time to think about each decision.

Incidentally even wearing a T shirt and shorts, no body would know I had tattoos, they are personal and not always appropriate to display despite the current fashion.
 
#20
whitemouse said:
Agree with Skyvet.

17 years served and I was never tempted nor convinced to have one.
My old man did 26 years and did not get one either.

:)
Same as you shippers, 24 done, still going and not one in sight
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tas-ape Diamond Lil's 31
H Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
H The Quarterdeck 61

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top