Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tattoos.

Fish-NQY

I'm looking to join the navy as a basic chef, I've read the guidelines on tattoos and I do have my hand and my fingers tattooed. I assume there is literally no possibility of me joining the navy in any capacity? I assume even in catering there are no exceptions made.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Give your AFCO a bell mate. Couldn't do any harm. But, I know when I joined, it was a no with regards to tatts on hands, neck etc. However, may have changed.

Fish-NQY

I guess asking is all I could do. I was just a little worried about going to the recruitment office and just being laughed out the place due to my body art. Thank you

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm looking to join the navy as a basic chef, I've read the guidelines on tattoos and I do have my hand and my fingers tattooed. I assume there is literally no possibility of me joining the navy in any capacity? I assume even in catering there are no exceptions made.
You might want to try the RLC bud.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
As dappers says, the Army have relaxed rules on tats on hands and fingers, the RN still has standards ;)

LeadPencil

Badgeman
You definitely can't join up whilst you have tattoo's visible on your face/neck/hands.

It's taken me 2 years to get rid of my tattoo on my neck.

Antonio555

Midshipman
Hi guys,

When I did RT a while ago the Recruiter said one of the tattoos on my back / neck could be a problem.

He then took a picture on his phone and said they would send off an let me know.

Since then they have progressed with my application and I have heard nothing more about it, I am now at the medical stage.

Before I ring the careers office again I was just going to share a picture with you guys to see what you think in terms of if it will be a problem?

Its just underneath my neck but some parts do go slightly onto my neck, you usually cant see it when im wearing a t-shirt for example.

Also apologies for the picture it is an old gym progression photo and im sure im going to get stick for it!

Appreciate any feedback :)

Attachments

• 178012_10151888164615035_1510022235_o.jpg
    178012_10151888164615035_1510022235_o.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 21

LeadPencil

Badgeman
It's kind of too late to do anything about it now. Personally I would go to medical and see what they say.

If they say it's an issue you could always plead with them that in a collared shirt you can't see it.

Good Luck!

Antonio555

Midshipman
Yeah I will say that, because you genuinely cant see it when i'm wearing a t shirt or collared shirt.

The only time you can see it is if im wearing a real low cut t-shirt

Antonio555

Midshipman
What are your thoughts on the location of the tattoo being just beneath the neck?

Is it more likely to get away with it considering it can be hidden wearing a t shirt or just as bad?

LeadPencil

Badgeman
What are your thoughts on the location of the tattoo being just beneath the neck?

Is it more likely to get away with it considering it can be hidden wearing a t shirt or just as bad?

I'm not sure. I don't know what else you can do now you're at medical stage as laser removal takes a long time. Ask dapperdunn, he probably knows better than I do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
Dusty70 Tattoos on Women Diamond Lil's 52
O Tattoos during application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
F Tattoos again Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K Officers & Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 87
joeG Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Tattoos RFA 5
S Scorpion Tattoos? Nearest & Dearest 13
Good CO Get your tattoos removed on TV - Channel 4 The Quarterdeck 0
L Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
F Tattoos while waiting? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
janner Tattoos? Miscellaneous 1
C Tattoos? RFA 6
fishface Tattoos and advancement Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
L Tattoos International 12
D TATTOOS The Corps 28
marmalizer Navy Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
P Tattoos Health & Fitness 17
M Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
rikbones Tattoos? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
R Hey everyone, advise on tattoos please... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Gazza82 Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
F WOMEN and TATTOOS - Love or hate women with tattoos? The Quarterdeck 22
B tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Tas-ape Extreme Tattoos (WARNING) Diamond Lil's 31
H tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
H tattoos The Quarterdeck 61