Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tattoos

MJ171717

Midshipman
Hi all,

Currently thinking of getting a tattoo,but I'm a bit concerned in doing so would delay my application process,I'm waiting on dates of my AIB so have already had a medical etc,would getting one require another medical to check it or is there a way round it/other option?

Thanks,
MJ

Sumo

War Hero
Hi all,

Currently thinking of getting a tattoo,but I'm a bit concerned in doing so would delay my application process,I'm waiting on dates of my AIB so have already had a medical etc,would getting one require another medical to check it or is there a way round it/other option?

Thanks,
MJ
Other option, wait until you are serving and then consider a tattoo, you can have a tattoo any time but may only get one shot at joining the navy, why risk your possiblke future career on a whim

Jacobus

War Hero
In addition Tats (well in my day anyway ) don't go down too well in the wardroom. Especially if they are visible. A few of the Upper Yardmen and SD officers I knew and served with had spent time and money trying to get them removed.
If you're going to have your girlfriend(s) /boyfriend(s) / Roy Keane's name(s) tattooed on your arse, fine. If you're planning a map of the Tokyo subway complete with Godzilla attack that extends on to your neck, hands, ankles, or even forearms maybe think twice.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I don't think there's as much of a taboo with regard tatts in the Wardrobe nowadays. Truth is, more female applicants than males seem to have them in this day and age. Obvs, they need to be speltt correctly, innit.

As long as it's not on your head, hands, neck or face, is not offensive or excessive, you're usually OK.

It's not a medical issue incidentally, your Careers Adviser calls the shots on acceptability - If in doubt, check with your AFCO. Once you have a tattoo, you have to declare it and update the aptly named "Tattoo Proforma" held by your AFCO.

More on the subject discussed here quite recently: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/tattoo-question.96810/

Jacobus

War Hero
I hear you Chief. Hear you. And of course you're more in daily contact with it than I. I have only to have a walk down the average U.K. high street, or look askance at the spiky haired boy wonder sat next to me on the flight deck these days, however, to get the general idea. And tats are still very much looked down upon in my profession, for example. Lord help us. Sumo's advice is sound. Get in first, get paralytic on your first run ashore in Gib ( assuming The Gibbos are still letting us in post Brexit) and get something discrete done if you must. Celtic cross, silhouette of Nelson Mandela/ Fidel Castro/ Nikita Kruschev / Bobby Sands that sort of thing.
Just don't hold out for flag lieutenant.

Jacobus

War Hero
Yes my syntax is a bit out. Lord help us all. Not Lord help us your excellent advice (as always) is sound. !!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
...........Once you have a tattoo, you have to declare it and update the aptly named "Tattoo Proforma" held by your AFCO...............

Yep, good advice - it helps them identify your body from everyone else when the manure hits the rotating ventilation device.

So tats aren't all bad.......

Sumo

War Hero
Yep, good advice - it helps them identify your body from everyone else when the manure hits the rotating ventilation device.

So tats aren't all bad.......
As long as you and your bezzy opo don't get the same forever tat, just causes confusion, best to stick with your dog tags, and avoid the risk of a tat you no longer want later in life?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
Dusty70 Tattoos on Women Diamond Lil's 52
O Tattoos during application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
F Tattoos again Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
F Tattoos. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
K Officers & Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 87
joeG Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Tattoos RFA 5
S Scorpion Tattoos? Nearest & Dearest 13
Good CO Get your tattoos removed on TV - Channel 4 The Quarterdeck 0
L Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
F Tattoos while waiting? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
janner Tattoos? Miscellaneous 1
C Tattoos? RFA 6
fishface Tattoos and advancement Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
L Tattoos International 12
D TATTOOS The Corps 28
marmalizer Navy Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
P Tattoos Health & Fitness 17
M Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
rikbones Tattoos? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
R Hey everyone, advise on tattoos please... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Gazza82 Tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
F WOMEN and TATTOOS - Love or hate women with tattoos? The Quarterdeck 22
B tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Tas-ape Extreme Tattoos (WARNING) Diamond Lil's 31
H tattoos Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
H tattoos The Quarterdeck 61