Tattoos while waiting?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fisher, Dec 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello everyone,

I would just like too ask one question, that i believe, has not been asked on this forum ( I used the search function, and could not find an answer ).
    I would like too know if it is prohibited too get a tattoo while in the process of waiting?
    ( i Passed my RT test back in september, and i have about 2 and a half years left too wait. )
    I have a design drawn up, and its going to be some nautical artwork ( Swallow and a nautical star ), on the inside of my forearm, at the top. ( no where near my wrist. )

I have read the tattoo thread, but i couldn't find an answer, for my specific question.

I will contact my Career advisor, to confirm, but for the benefit of others, i thought that i would post this question here.

Thank you very much,

Fisher.

2. As long as it is not below the wrists or above the neck it should be okay.

3. Nautical stars are for emo hermers. And until you have done 5,000 miles at sea or rounded the horn you haven't earned your swallow. Anchors and compasses, now that's where it's at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. There was plenty of applicants waiting, planning or thinking about getting a tattoo during my process.

All i remember hearing from the CA's were questions like, what the tattoo is going to be etc., If it falls in line with regulations i think you can have one went you want too.

That said, someone will be along to confirm either way. (They already have. oops.)

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Go large my friend.

Get a huge anchor on your forearm, above it get a big W, that way it'll denote your waiting to join and once you've joined it'll denote the hard yards you've done waiting.

Go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Notwithstanding hepatitis is a medical bar to entry, it's up to the individual if they wish to get a tattoo whilst waiting to join the service.

A fair few people have now been turned-away at various stages of selection up to and including the pre-entry brief for transgressing the hands/neck/face/excessive/offensive tattoo policy, but the 'sympathy-o-meter' doesn't flicker on that score.

In my experience, getting tattoos outwardly proclaiming undying passion for a person or a yet to be achieved goal can come back to haunt.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Did he send you a Dear Nina after you'd had it done! :slow:

• Like Like x 2
  8. As Ninja said, there is nothing to stop you getting a tattoo, but if in doubt, ring your own CA who will brief you on the current policy.

I've had to cancel a few entries due to ineligible tattoo's

Supermario

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Would the one on Chico's arse saying entry only be a bar to him joining?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I personally think if you don't wait the tattooist will find it most difficult to carry out his work. You need to hang around.:-D:-D

On a serious note, the subject of tattoo's whilst awaiting entry has been discussed in the past but like all forum search functions most difficult to find.

11. Ninja_Stoker

I've never forgiven Stonker for that.

12. Policies change, what is now acceptable now may not be in the future, tattoos on the hands and neck used to be acceptable but not now.

Used to have an old Chief with LOVE and HATE on his knuckles, swallows on his hands and Geishas on his neck and calves.

What would happen to him if he was still in?

13. Ninja_Stoker

If he had them after the policy change whilst serving, he'd be invited to have them removed at his own expense within a designated timescale or be discharged.

If already serving with the tattoos, the rule cannot be enforced retrospectively.