Tattoo

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Capn_Pugwash, Jul 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TATTOOS ON JOINING

Can anyone tell me what the regs are on having tatoos on joining up.

My daughter has a small tat on her back, and is considering joining as an officer.

Thanks.

2. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

The regs IIRC are no tats above the neckline or below the wrist, but i am sure the ninja will be along to give the correct details, if i have got them wrong.

3. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

There was a very passionate thread about this topic last week!

AFAIK, as long as it's not visible when she's wearing her Nos 1s it shouldn't be a problem.

4. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

when i was at Raleigh there was a guy with a tattoo on side of his neck. :confused4:

5. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

I'm a girlie, and have 2 ------- not a problem......... but when she goes to the AFCO- any ?? ask!!

6. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

Yes, but he was not an officer.

7. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

Please don't send me round this buoy again, I got in enough shit last time!!

8. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

Well as long as she remembers to stay on her back there shouldnt be an issue! :thumright:

9. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

lol

10. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

How do you know?

I don't think the rules are different for officers, just may be more 'frowned upon'.

11. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

Hey mate just to finish off. When your daughter get the application it will have a Application form infromation and guidance booklet. From what it says your daughter is ok but i will put it up for other people 2 see.

Tattoos/Body Piercing

Tattoos: Any tattoo(s) which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos should not be visible on the head and neck. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattoos.

Body piercing: For health and safety reasons you will be asked to remove certain items of body piercing jewellery before undergoing physical activity as part of the application and selection process. You will not be allowed to attempt the physical activities if you do not remove the body piercing jewellery as requested. If you are successful in your application you will be advised by service authorities on what the rules are for wearing body jewellery when on and of duty.

12. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

When I was at school in the very recent past ;) (er 1968-79) we was told by the naval recruiting bods that it was OK for Ratings to have tats but NOT officers, cause they was gentleman. :albino:

13. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

This topic was mentioned just last week in our office. Apparently once you become an officer you either can't get a tattoo done, or as mentioned before it's frowned upon.
    However if you have them it is not a bar providing they are not offensive and not visible when wearing No 1's.

14. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

Oih!!!!

Thats my daughter you're talking about!

When I find out where you live, her mother will be round to sort you out...........

15. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

One of our two ringers has a full sleeve (whole arm including shoulder tattooed down to the wrist) and doesn't have any problems.
    Another (two and a half) has loads of gash tats on his arms from when he was a rating. Again no problems.

Tell her not to worry.
    These days I wouldn't even mention it unless asked.
    :)

16. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

I shouldn't worry too much. The Leopard Man of Skye wasn't an officer but he did make Colour Sergeant....

[​IMG]

...before he had 99.2% of his body covered in tattoos (link).

17. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

That’s good to hear Lamri. I would love to get a full arm tattoo on my left arm. I've been thinking about it for sometime now. Thing is im going to wait until I have a bit more muscle mass :>.

18. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

I got my two gash tats when I was in the navy. First one in guzz and the second in Hong Kong

Still love em today.

19. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

I think it's more the latter, although how would anyone know if you had a small tattoo on a generally unseen part of the anatomy? A notorious RN dermatologist called Surgeon Captain Ronnie Scutt wrote a book years ago about tattoos which contained hundreds of photographs of the "art". He managed by diligent searching and advertising to obtain photos of just about everything tattooable, including the full hunt scene with the fox's tail sticking out the gentleman's bottom. (The particular one he found was reputedly on the back of a retired Admiral.) Ronnie also had a small rose tattooed on his hip, (allegedly!) He was also incidently infamous in the Medical Branch for his habit of pissing in his washhandbasin whilst conducting a clinic, being quite nonchalant about it and continuing to talk to the patient and the POMA helping him. His nickname was "Old Piss-in-the-sink".

20. Re: TATTOOS ON JOINING

The RN had lots of characters like this in many of its branches, the medical branch seemed to have more than it's fair share. I fondly remember Wardmaster sub Lt Lyons on Eagle, when he was rum ration officer he always tasted the water before and after it was added to the rum. He also dished out rather large measures. The PMO on Ark Royal 1976. I can't remember his name but I had laryngitis, after a week of treatment he stood at one end of the sickbay, ordered me to go to the other end near the door and shout **** Off to him. I said I can't do that, he said it's an order. Well I did it and he replied "Don't tell me to **** Off in my sickbay, get out".