Tattoo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by IrishHighlander, Apr 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm wanting to get a Royal Navy Stamp on my right shoulder. Could anyone give me design suggestions?
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If you are waiting to join up it might be best to leave it until later. However if you type tattoo in the search box (top right) there's loads of advice on the site.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In my experience people usually decide upon a design they like, then decide where they want it, rather than decide they're having a random tattoo before anything else.

If you've actually completed training then you'll have seen plenty from which to choose. If you are aiming to get a Navy tattoo before you even pass out, then you are rather jumping the gun & tempting providence.
  4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

How about "Starboard" in luminous green, spelt in latin with a celtic design.
  5. Live dangerously.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers for the help guys :)
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure I'm helping, but I'm curious as to the motivation - Why are you aiming to have a tattoo, and why Naval themed?

For those intending to join the service, particularly those aspiring to join Special Forces (aren't they all?) it's probably worth being aware that tattoos can limit employment potential. They're certainly not a bar to joining Special Forces, but tattoos that compromise personal security or "mision objectives" by indicating nationality, religious or military affiliations may not always be the wisest option in an operational environment.

That said, in a hostage situation when the loons start executing people by virtue of identifiable markers, the rest of the hostages are always indebted to those with tattoos.
  8. I'm RNR and my family are and we're RN. Moving to RN at the end of my degree...or at least that's the plan.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Have never understood why some folk seem to need a signpost to remind them who, and what they are (maybe!) As you yourself will find it difficult to see, why is it necessary?
  10. It's not necessary. None of the other matlows in my family have tats I just really want to get one because my friends have all gotten stamps for their respective units. Mark of pride I suppose. Plus Navy tats are baddass :p
  11. Ninja_Stoker

I'm genuinely curious, whilst accepting the word matelot can be spelled matlow: Is the word "gotten" (and badass, for that matter) now a commen part of Irish/Scot language or UK youth culture?

I always thought the word was exclusive to the South of the US, where the Clampetts & Drysdales lived, but maybe I'm just getting old.:(
  12. This recently cropped up in a scintillating:rolleyes: conversation in the pub.
    Apparently, (and I haven't verified this), the word "gotten" was in common use before/during the colonisation years of the New World. It dropped out of usage on this side of the pond but remained a part of everyday conversation in the USA.
    So the word is just coming home after a long holiday.
    Maybe ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. My apologies for my poor use of English :p At least I'm not overusing the word like or eh. Those are standard with the chookters up here.
  14. Do NOT under any circumstances, get this as
    your choice of ink:-

This design is for a select few only. There's plenty more to choose from.
  15. Errr alright? Not really going for a shield Anyway.....
  16. Oh it's not just any old shield. The significance of it is shrouded in mystery and hidden way back in the annals of time. Do some research and find out what you can, if anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

BNM.. BEHAVE !! lol
  18. Right...I'm sure the gym would be a better use of my time ;-)
  19. It might sound like chookter to your sensitive Irish ears, but it is actually teuchter.
  20. Mr Google says :

Teuchter is a Lowland Scots word originally used to describe a Scottish Highlander, in particular a Gaelic-speaking Highlander. Like most such cultural epithets, it can be seen as offensive, but is often seen as amusing by the speaker. The term is contemptuous, essentially describing someone seen to be uncouth and rural.
    The word also shows up as cheuchter, chuchter, teuchtar but has no universally accepted etymology. From relative obscurity, it gained currency around 1910.