Tattoo Removal

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GrapeVine, Apr 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I'm looking to get my tattoo removed on my arm before joining dartmouth in November. Just checking to see if it isn't a bar to entry/waiting time between removal and joining. Cheers

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If the tattoo doesn't prevent entry it's up to you whether it is removed or not.

Ongoing treatment should not prevent entry but I do know they can be quite "raw" after each treatment & would strongly advise you stop treatment sessions a good month or more before entry as you don't want to be rolling around in muddy puddles with a sore treatment area or with an open wound or blistered skin whilst in training.

3. Evening,

NS hits it on the head - having treatment prior to entry is risky, plus tattoo removal isn't as straightforward for as clinics etc state.

Firstly, depending on the removal technique, the skin irritation can be short or lasting and require moisturising treatment - this may be seen as a reason to defer you, as it is active treatment. Also, you have no idea if the BRNC medic will deemcthe irritation as dermatitis, which will be a bar to entry and need a 3 year clear period.

Secondly, tattoo treatment doesn't always work at completely erradicating the image. I have seen some inking that has taken 5+ treatments and still can be seen clearly. A lot of it depends on the colours used as some may be longer lasting.

If your tattoo isn't a real bother then think long and hard before parting with your cash, and risking not being able to enter as you plan.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

4. I've had a coupla of tatts removed.
    Using laser you must wait 4-6 weeks between sessions and it might take 5-8 sessions or more so you'd want to get started soon.
    The other option which is much more effective and works in less time is offered in most major cities in UK. They tattoo over the tattoo you are removing with a special ink/chemical that once under the skin breaks down the original ink into a state where it is then absorbed by the body. This leaves less scarring so that would be your best choice.
    Or how about a cover up? Is it that bad?

5. I've had my first laser session now. It's faded slightly. The removal guy said that it was pretty dark so I would need a few sessions if I wanted a cover up to be good.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Bloke at 'my' AFCO spent over £1000 getting a tatt removed from his neck. It originally cost £50.

I reckon the tattoo removal business, for those thinking of setting up a business, is far more lucrative than tattooing.

7. Totally agree there NS, once you have the laser it's basically just the electric you pay for. And no training needed to operate them as they were classed as a beauty treatment a few years ago. The place I go to charges £45 per session and when I went 2 guys were waiting ahead of me. Only took him about half an hour to complete all 3 of us. I wouldn't mind that hourly rate.

8. You are right in that it does not have to be CQC approved, but there is training available for laser treatments (i've done the basic course). Suggest you use only approved clinicians, eg dermatologists/plastic surgeons who not only practice laser therapies, but deal with complications of laser. Your GP should be able to advise

9. Argos does a nice angle grinder for about £40.

• Like Like x 2
  10. or you could do something like this ...........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. tattoo just on collarbone

Hi guys had a tattoo on my.chest a while ago and it is slightly on.the collarbone but not over it. When putting the parade uniform on the tattoo isn't visible but only a tiny bit on.the left side is showing. Would this be covered up with the jacket and what I can describe as a neckerchief or would I have to opt for laser removal?

12. Ninja_Stoker

In my AFCO we have a whitefront (teeshirt) and uniform jacket so the enquirer can check for themselves - give your AFCO a ring to see if you can pop in to have it checked by a careers adviser, for peace of mind.