Tattoo Regulations

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sailing_Soldier, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, alright guys!
    I am currently joining the navy, and i am just waiting for my date of basic training to come through which would be a little while yet as down to waiting list.
    I am just turning eighteen in a few weeks and was going to get a tattoo from my shoulder down to my elbow joint of a religous piece of art! I am just worried that this would be a problem with matters of size? I
    I can someone please give me any information on this please?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Read the threads posted for you and make your own friggin mind up.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

As this seems to be the silly question thread can I ask one please?

If you throttle a smurf what colour will they turn? :?

4. Size does matter!!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah good, a sensible question.

My guess is darker blue, followed eventually by black. If they suffer carbon monoxide poisoning, I'd reckon they go purple (subject to confirmation by angrydoc).

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So why does my labrador's lipstick go deep purple when I throttle it? :?

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You're doing it wrong you rough sod. where's your love of mans best friend (the dog not the lipstick) :p

8. WHY FFS?

9. The size will be fine. As long as its not on your hands or neck/face, racist, sexist or obscene yu are good t ocrack on. There were loads of people at raleigh with full sleves. Remember a sailor without a tattoo is not seaworthy.

10. A sailor without a tatoo is a sailor with the good sense not to waste his hard earned cash on self mutilation. :oops:

11. Obviously.

12. Sailing_Soldier,

Young sir, you can act the OD Sailorman all of your life, with the occasional day off. (Several at RR do just that. :wink: )

When you have committed yourself to looking like the OD Sailorman, however, you will no longer have that option.

I suggest that you search this site for other tattoo info/opinions before committing yourself. Think on.

Bob

13. 'Chicogiz' accross your knuckles should endear you to the HMS Raleigh training staff :p

14. Unwise.

That tattoo would quickly wear off whilst dragging same along the deck.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Also remember if it's viewed as excessive it can also be a bar to entry.

The advice to those considering getting a tattoo prior to joining is simply to wait until you have joined. Several reasons, including the facts that hepatitis is a bar to entry, & a person getting a dodgy tat is given time to get it removed before dismissal & also getting paid if he/she has already joined, whereas those yet to join stand to lose £1100+ (gross) per month income if it makes them ineligible to join. Very often what is thought "cool" as a civilian & his/her mates, may turn out otherwise as interpreted by your future Admraly Compulsory Companions.

It is truly bewildering the amount of self-proclaimed experts who are happy to jeopardise someone's future career with duff advice or indeed the amount of individuals wishing to join who know the rules, but wish to push the boundaries rather than simply accept them.

16. I have no tats.

I was seaworthy on a number of ships and submarines for 23 years.

QED.

17. Ditto :)

18. Ditto again only I did 33 years (for a blackcat :wink: )