Tattoo query

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RedShirt, Oct 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been lurking round here for a few months trying to read up as much as possible. I have read many threads about tattoos and from what I see as long is the tattoo is not obsene or on the head/neck/hands everything should be good. I am not long off the phone to my AFCO who has informed me that my tattoo may be a bar from entry as it passes where my watchstrap would be. I have to go in sometime before my Recruit test to let them check it out. The other thing about my tattoo is that it is a UV tattoo and appears as just some scar tissue in daylight. Would this help in any way regarding the watchstrap issue?

I know you can't really make a decision without seeing the tattoo, but I'm not quite sure how that falls into PERSEC and would just like to know if I should be preparing for a yes or no.

2. I joined with several tattoos on my forearms and have another booked for Friday as it happens.

Just make sure you go in there with a bottle of pussers rum and a pack of biscuits. The old and bold love all that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Alternatively, just take your tattoos to your AFCO so they can advise.

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My mate got in no problems and he was covered in the things. He even had one on his face.

Oh hang on. That was prison.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Or dont get them in the first place :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well apparently my tattoo is acceptable. Though it took 4 different people to look at it. Just need to pass my psychometric test now in november.

7. ...and the interview, medical, PJFT, PRNC and security clearance. Piece of p..s

8. One step at a time.

9. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

I say Boy, I say Boy, I say Boy, just hold on there a cotton picking minute;

WTF is an Ultraviolet tattoo? I'm a man of the world and all that but are you seriously saying that you have a tattoo that I will only be able to see when the two of us are bopping about under the Disco Lights at Emmas.?

10. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_tattoo
    Here you go Trainer ... wiki (if it can be believed)! But sounds about right

11. Yep, Though because of where mine is you can still see scar tissue but not the actual ink.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm all for people making themselves more visible than me when viewed through a NIR/UV nightscope.

• Like Like x 1
  13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The first bit of common sense so far.

• Like Like x 2