tattoo policy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by loiz18, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i know iv read it somewere but i cant find it! can someone send me the link for the navys tattoo policy.

or just tell me what is acceptable prior to joining.

2. TATTOOS/BODY PIERCING

The Armed Forces have a policy on Tattoos and Body Piercing as follows:

a. Tattoos. Any tattoo(s) which is/are offensive or obscene will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Additionally tattoos should not be visible on the head and neck. Furthermore any tattoo(s) excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. You may be asked to complete a form describing your tattoos.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A rough guide: Tattoos on the head, neck & hands are a bar to entry, the selection decision will be made by AFCO staff.

As a salutary tale to those wishing to join the service & contemplating getting a tattoo, this recent News article may help identify what actually constitutes the head, for the unaware - it's the "bobbly bit" above the shoulders.

Unfortunately, even having a bleat to the tabloids doesn't alter the tattoo policy.

4. its daft really that it could make a difference if your tat is on your neck on on your hands (assuming they are not completely offensive to everyone)

does it make you a better sailor/squaddie/airman not having them visable..?

some of the best lads I have known in the mob would fall foul of the rules if they were to join up today..

oh well....

5. Ninja_Stoker

Completely understand where you're coming from but the Problem is that it's supposed to be a disciplined service & the fact is that most people actually know what the rules are but wish to challenge them.

Those that display a poor attitude to discipline & authority in these days of lean manning & a surplus of applicants are entirely at liberty to apply for jobs elsewhere.

No, it doesn't mean that they would be any better at their job, but it does perhaps suggest they would be prepared to do what they are required to do when it matters most.

Doubtless there are many tattoo-free drug addicts & career criminals knocking about, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I agree with the policy, we don't want people like this joining up do we?

[​IMG]

Whether people like it or not, a brand's image says a huge amount about it's employees and intentions.

As Ninja says, a line has to be drawn otherwise the day will come when we have a tatted loon like this guy, representing the mob at a remembrance parade.

A lot of people would find this offensive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paradoxically, you can get a medal from HM for being a tattooist...

Dorothy Dawn, Mrs CRAGG Medical Tattooist.
    ...For services to Healthcare.

Yeah I know it's out of context but hey

8. i wouldnt have been allowed to join based on these rules now, i had home made tats on back of my hand and a proper one on my wrist extending down to my hand...it wasnt even mentioned when i joined up and i gave pusser the best ten years of my life for which i am sure they were eternally grateful...seem ridiculous that i couldnt even get in now!

9. just a quick one on a almost related subject!

What are the policy these days on tattoos in the sneaky deaky world of SF?

Had a few people say that tattoos are a bar from selection, yet read in a mr mcnab book that one of his mates (namely a guy called harry who was ex RM) had tons!

just interested tis all!

10. Yes, I read McNabs books (they were a major factor in my deciding to join the Army) and i recall him mentioned that a man named Des Doom (unsure of real name) was covered in tattoos all over his arms, back, and chest. In his Book '7 troop' there is a picture in the desert where one member has a giant dark tattoo covering almost all of his back.

I have just started the joining process and the only concern I have is that I have a full sleeve on my left arm. It isn't visible when wearing a long sleeve top, and my hands, neck and face are clear of tattoos or peircings. The soldier taking my application said it wouldn't be a problem, but he didn't know how big my tattoo was, just that i had at least one.

I see this as the only thing that will (possibly) bar me from entry, and if it does (I have applied for to be an Infantry Sniper) I was wondering if the Navy (namely-Royal Marines) are more accepting to those with tattoos, as tattooing has a strong presence in navy history.

Anybody know if my tattoo would prevent me from entry?

(It's not an offensive tattoo either, it is an Oriental (Japanese) design, so if anything it could show that I am open to other cultures?

11. Ninja_Stoker

It's very straightforward: If the tattoo is not on the head, neck or hands & it isn't excessive or offensive, it will not be a bar to entry.

Whether it affects suitability for special forces selection is open to conjecture, however the recruiting manual states it may bar selection. Doubtless someone will know different.

12. Thanks, that does make me feel a lot better. I have wanted to join the army since I was 10 (i'm now 18) and while, i'm not stupid, I am not qualified for anything really, let alone anything that interests me as much as the armed forces.

I have a BARB test next week and just have to go to a medical and then the trials to test my fitness and aptitude, which i'm sure I will do fine in. This was good news, thanks!

13. Let's face it. More times than not..............people who have tattoos on the face, head or neck tend to be the very people who we define as a chav in todays society. In other words, they tend to be nutters, drug takers/drug dealer, criminals etc.

14. Ninja_Stoker

So Maoris are Chavs?

[​IMG]

15. No, Maoris are a fine race of people, indigenous to the islands now called New Zealand, who have a tribal tradition of tattoos which were used to make them look fiercer. Such tattoos are worn today by those Maoris who wish to carry on one of the traditions of their ancestors.

White men with tattoos on the face, head or neck are chavs.

16. You didn't give pusser the best ten years of your life, you sold them to pusser. :oops:
    I'm also willing to bet that if you hadn't been in the RN for those 10 years they would not have been the best ten years :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. what is the situation about when you are enlisted then you decide to get another tatoo?

18. Can you rephrase that to make it comprehensible please?

19. am suprised you never done it for me

20. One definate no no is "pig" on the little finger side of the right hand.