Tattoo Policy, so good they ask it twice (merged thread)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sapphire37, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just received an email today from the AFCA-RNR that I wil not progress with my application because of my tiny tattoo on my left middle finger(inner left side of it). Its about 1cm long, about a size of a mole and got this during my University days Fraternity. Basically I went through the Royal Navy Tattoo policy and I am not convince about their reply that it's against the policy on tattoo on hands.

Can somebody enlighten me about this one, from what I have gathered fron the policy, as long as its not offensive or visible its acceptable. I could even have this remove if they want me to but my point is...I was being honest and was let down in the end. I see no valid reason for their descision. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
  2. Tattoo Policy

Just received an email today from the AFCA-RNR that I wil not progress with my application because of my tiny tattoo on my left middle finger(inner left side of it). Its about 1cm long, about a size of a mole and got this during my University days Fraternity. Basically I went through the Royal Navy Tattoo policy and I am not convince about their reply that it's against the policy on tattoo on hands.

Can somebody enlighten me about this one, from what I have gathered fron the policy, as long as its not offensive or visible its acceptable. I could even have this remove if they want me to but my point is...I was being honest and was let down in the end. I see no valid reason for their descision. Sorry.

3. Does it not state anything outwith uniform line is un acceptable?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Policy states no tattoo's below the cuff or above the collar.

As your tattoo is below the cuff it falls in to this. Despite what you may think.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sapp. type tattoos into the the search box on the top right of the page, its been covered loads of time. If you want better advice post a pic of the tattoo on here and there are AFCO people on site from time to time, they will be able to advise you further

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sapp. I've answered you on another thread.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Seems fairy obvious to me as a non-frat, non-grad, English O level grade B mortar-board wearing, non-prom attendee.

Which bit is confusing you, page 6 or 7?

link here: http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/eccb6c2c44bb44a98f055592c56f7e08-0x0.pdf

8. The reasoning is quite simple, all the services are vastly oversubscribed & have the pick of the crop, this policy also now prevails in the civilian services & is quite common in the real world of work, many a good applicant gets rejected on their appearance basis alone. In this day & age the young would be well advised to remember two old maxims. He who pays the piper call the tune, & act in haste & repent at leisure. My personal advise is to have it removed, accept you've "lucked out", & move on.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. On your fingers you say? If you don't include these pieces of anatomy as part of your hands, what do you class them as?

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

10. I'm in the same boat!!..I've gotta have my tattoo removed next week.. Then ill go back to the careers office..

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have ink, one in particular, right upper arm directly above avatar pic..Lone Wolf, in silhouette against a beautiful sunset, arched back with head held high......howling.

12. Mines from the top off my little finger down to my wrist..:( I just know its going to hurt to get it removed lol!!!be worth the pain tho..

13. You could always have your hand cut off and a hook put in its place. You could buy a parrot as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Lol it might not hurt as much

15. Interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  16. My friend had one on the back of the neck removed and she didn't find it tooooooo excruciating so fingers crossed it won't be too bad for you! Definitely shows committment, what are you intetrested in joining as?

17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I've got "Tits" and "Arse" tattooed on my knuckles which i got done for a bet. I've also got "TNUC" on my forehead.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oh that's good to know :)...and logistics!!

19. The navy doesn't really care what you think about their decision. Their rules and policy. Conform with it or thin out.

• Like Like x 4

20. FIFO. Fit in or **** off

• Like Like x 2