Taranto 75

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Magic_Mushroom, Nov 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very disappointed to note that the RN have not made more of 75th Anniversary of the Taranto Raid. In fact, they don't seem to have made anything of it unless I've missed something.

I shall be quietly raising a glass to the very brave Stringbag (and RAF Maryland) crews involved and hope that one of the RNHF Swordfish will be doing something somewhere.

Regards,
    MM

• Like Like x 1
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Havent got the RAF PR budget :(

3. Are you aware of this?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/battle-of-taranto-short-film.246574/

Nice to see at least one of the old girls still airworthy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not sure about budget but contrary to popular belief, the RAF media staff is the smallest of the 3 services.

However, it shouldn't need much money to get some air time on National TV and take Sophie Raworth or similar up in one of the Stringbags. However, perhaps Remembrance saturates public interest. Or perhaps it's political sensitivity about upsetting a key EU partner?

Regards,
    MM

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

ISTR that the MOD does 70 and 100 years, but doesnt do 75 years anymore :-(

6. You may be correct. The RAF made a big thing of BoB 70 and hadn't planned on much for the 75th Anniversary (honest!), particularly as we knew it coincided with VE and VJ 70 and ongoing WWI centenaries. However, several of the other nations involved (notably Canada, Poland and the Czech Republic) complained and it grew arms and legs.

Was anything done for Taranto 70?

Regards,
    MM

7. Celebrated every year in the Wardroom by seting fire to something and breaking a few arms and legs :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've been lucky enough to attend several and always enjoy them far more than Traf Night!

My Staff College Taranto Night was particularly entertaining as the Italian students walked out en mass and the civvy Mess Manager ended up running around with a fire extinguisher trying to suppress the result of the numerous pyrotechnic incidents! My favourites were the flaming Swordfish models flying backwards and forwards over the dining room on pieces of wire!!! There was so much smoke they had to disable the fire alarm in the end.

Despite the Mess Manager's declaration that no Taranto Night would ever again be held...they were!

Regards,
    MM

9. Politically sensitive with a SDSR coming soon?

10. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Except Douglas Bader...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Douglas Bader did appreciate the RN aircrew who took part in the Battle of Britain!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I suspect that all RAF aircrew appreciated the FAA aircrew who took part in the Battle of Britain.

Regards,
    MM

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trainer

11% of BoB aircrew were from the FAA. The first and last enemy aircraft shot down in WW2 were by the FAA.

Baader was a horrible man...

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  14. Pity we dont get 11% mention on the news/PR coverage of it :(

• Old Old x 1
  15. So, within a few posts, a thread started with good intentions has denegerated into point scoring and dripping on unrelated issues. Nice one chaps.

Regards,
    MM

16. That's cos we is all 'appy, a Wafu is at 'is 'appiest when dripping.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. That's all right then!

Regards,
    MM

18. Trainer

This is what is known in Social Media Theory as the 6 stages of Nazi. You see it on Youtube, where in 6 messages it's a slagging match.

So therefore - 'hey you guys are Nazis man!!!!!!'

19. I call Godwins!

20. You knew when you posted it what would happen....