Tall Ships Race & Seasick Crew bottling out...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes

2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
  4. Other...

0 vote(s)
  1. What a pathetic crew
    By Tim Luckhurst
    (Times: 17.8.06)

THE CREW of Golden Vanity, the restored Brixham trawler, quit the Tall Ships Race this week. Sailing north through the Bay of Biscay from La Coruña to Antwerp, these 16 to 25-year-old volunteers encountered the fearsome foe of seasickness and wimped out. It would be easy to sympathise, but contempt is the more compassionate response.

Seasickness is miserable, but few displays of spinelessness better reflect the mollycoddling madness that is destroying self-reliance among young Britons. Instead of keeping children safe, risk-free education has spawned a generation of emotionally fragile wrecks with little fortitude.

Brixham trawlers were designed to battle storms in the North Atlantic. Vessels such as Golden Vanity sailed to Newfoundland in pursuit of fish. Their design is so seaworthy that they survived the advent of motor-powered trawlers to perform sterling work at Dunkirk. Some carried crew as young as 12. None of these fishermen was ever offered trauma counselling.

Nowadays self-reliance is misconstrued as self-harm. The burgeoning therapy industry believes that the self-reliant do not really take pride in overcoming life’s vicissitudes. Rather they lack the emotional vocabulary to talk about their feelings. Today our benevolent State insists that none of us is competent to cope with hardship unaided and offers a counsellor for every crisis.

No doubt the nauseous nautical neophytes believe that they were right to give up. According to the perverse logic with which they are indoctrinated confession of weakness is a form of strength. But such drivel has produced a flab-swaddled generation of wheezing underachievers ill-equipped for life.

It is much kinder to chastise cowardice and stigmatise failure. Young people will face harsh realities in the world of work. A caring society would prepare them for success instead of training them to aim low, and miss.

The crew of Golden Vanity should feel humiliated. People younger and less well-nourished than them fought under Nelson, who was always seasick on voyages. While these cringing excuses for sailors remain aboard their vessel it should be renamed the Papier Mâché Vanity. Such fragile self-esteem is all that remains to those schooled to celebrate capitulation as the first response to hardship.

source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-2316411,00.html
  2. Re: Tall Ships Race & Seasick Crew...

Let's hope these are not the types the Navy is out to recruit with their White Ensign marketing drive! Come on lads, there's nothing like the sight and aroma of diced carrots, peas and orange mush all over one's oilskins to work up a healthy appitite... later... :lol: I feel ashamed to be a Civvy!

'old on, I feel sick... :D
  3. Re: Tall Ships Race & Seasick Crew...

What a tosser. They went to sea for the first time without any experience and lacking a sufficient number of experienced crew, get sea sick and decide their sickness, combined with their inexperience merits their pulling out of a very high class of race. That doesn't sound too unreasonable in my book.

I see the journalist's point, but his very sweeping statements such as "risk-free education has spawned a generation of emotionally fragile wrecks with little fortitude" and reference to their age group as "a flab-swaddled generation of wheezing underachievers ill-equipped for life" shows, to be frank, that he is talking out his arse. There is no way that you can qualify such sweeping statements as he made. Perhaps the crew of the ship were indeed of poor character, in some way, but his extrapolation of their (alleged) lack of moral courage to every 16-25 year old oversteps the mark.

I doubt that the author of that article has ever experienced those conditions. Before he moans, he should try it himself - and remember that it is his generation that has created the "benevolent State" he lambasts. Lastly - Brixham trawlers are over 70 years old, so are not going to be in the best of conditions!

Rant over :lol:
  4. An easy article to write from the comfort and stability of an air conditioned office.

5. Re: Tall Ships Race & Seasick Crew...

I can't imagine that they will have entered the TSR without having some experience of sailing and teamwork Dunkers - and what about anti-seasickness tablets - I always had a good supply when I used go yachting around Chichester (notorious for making me seasick! :oops: ) but great for sailing - so few yachties in late December-early January!

I agree that it is wrong for him to generalise though - but that's typical - they were just as bad when I was your age. :x

6. I'm not so sure Steve. The boat is owned by "Trinity Sailing" who run "sailing holidays". Sailing holidays! http://www.trinitysailing.co.uk is their website. In such a small crew as she has, maybe even 1 member of the crew dropping out would render the sailing impossible.
  7. Oh well Dunkers I'm just taking a professional ethos for granted then! I'm surprised they were allowed to enter the race in that case - surely there should be some basic requirements? A few evenings on the RYA Day Skipper course would suffice! Then again, perhaps not - too much theory early on... :lol: They used to do a Deckhands course. Do they still do it? If so, perhaps that level of skill and some sea time should be the de minimis entry requirements?

And some training in taking your Stergine well before you sail and keep taking them - just to be on the safe side!

8. Tim Luckhurst has obviously never been seasick.
    He is also a grade A cnut for this article.
    Harry roughers in the Bay is no laughing matter, whatever the seaworthiness of the boat.
    How many of the crew were seasick ?
    These people were on a jolly in the TSR. If you've got a number of people severly out of action due to seasickness (what do you mean "weak stomach" ? I'm throwing it as fas as everone else ! - apologies but couldn't resist it) it is good seamanship to lok after the safety of the crew & ship.
    Being unable to work a ship properly due to seasickness is nothing to do with mollycoddling. If youre on a sailing ship in rough weather & are not able to concentrate fully then you are a danger to yourself & the rest of the crew.
  9. I am with Dunkers on this one, most of the UK places in the Tall Ships go to people with very little sailing experience, they often are only on board for a week or so, so will never be expert. Yes pills wrist bands etc work for some some of the time, but in a good gale in Biscay?

Yes killing a few may stiffen the backbone of the others, but there are better ways of ding it that will not be so traumatic, and may well be more effective over all.

This is just another Torygraph writer trying to look hard and making an *rse of it. I am pretty sure the skipper made the correct choice in the circumstances. After all as master you are first responsible for the personal safety of the crew, not their moral fibre.

Oops just noticed it was in fact the time, but it doesn't change my comment. after all the Times is no longer the 'Thunderer' rather a S*n for those who can use big words.

10. Ive read some bollocks in my time. 13 years in even I get sea sick sometimes and dont mind admitting it, I have the experience however to work through it as best I can. Im sure we all know what a bitch the Bay can be at times. Irrespective of how seaworthy a ship is they all can sink or at least cause the crew a serious harm if they dont know what they are doing!!

Yes the youth are today can be shitheads but coupled with a lack of experience and lack of hands I would have seen no other reason to pull out other than one of safety...Embarrassment may be a difficult issue to deal with however I would assert that death by drowning to be far more pressing!!

Its a shame we couldnt arrange for the writer to spend some time in the North Sea doing fish patrol or Baltic to test his theory!
  11. Not forgetting the prime responsibility of the Skipper, is the safety of his crew, and if that is in any way compromised, he has to seek a safe port!
  12. Point conceeded Peter & Dunkers. I succumb to your superior knowledge! I'm a bit shocked that they can have so little experience to be allowed to participate though! :oops:

It's nice to learn something new every day. This is my lesson for today!

13. Can't something be arranged? Surely someone on RR must have contacts?

14. Yep - the "Competent Crew" course as they now call it. It is one step below the practical Dayskipper course (which incidentally I am thinking about doing :lol: )
  15. That is the way sail training is organised, so that you can take a complete landlubber and give them enough knowledge and ability to pass the competant crew certificate in the week.

The Tall Ships is as much about comradeship between youngsters of all nations as it is about sailing and racing. Remeber they have one ST vessel specifically adapted for the disabled.

16. Thanks for that information Peter. I know about the ST (with the Jubilee Sailing Trust) vessel for the disabled as I'm hoping to have a go myself in the next couple of years - I want to see how I'll cope aloft in a moving vessel - or even aloft (higher than 30 ft!) but I also need the adaptions to be able to have a go these days as my back has the habit of "locking" at the most inconvenient times - I affectionally call it transient rigor mortis! :lol:

I shall know now - avoid the Bay of Biscuits!
  17. Having spent a couple of years on a survey vessel in company with a killick sailor who was always as sick as a dog for 2 weeks at the beginning of any trip, I can vouch for seasickness being debilitating and overwhelming for an individual. No amount of psychology or Stugeron sorted him out, but he was OK once he became accustomed to the motion. If a significant number of a small crew is ill, it would be real folly to carry on regardless. One more example of a journo with less than enough knowledge pronouncing as if expert! The problem is that Joe Soap reads and believes!
  18. The bay has it's bad moments and it's good ones too.

I have had some bloody awful crossing and some very good ones, we even had hands to bathe from an O boat on one crossing.

There are some very nice stopping places round the bay if one is sailing, and I hope to explore more than a few in a couple of years when I move my boat out to Portugal.

19. What a Richard head, I wonder if he has ever been to sea let alone been sea sick. It can attack you any time and then the only thing you want to do is crawl away and die.
    And anyway wasn’t the old Navy cure `find a tree and sit under it`?

20. Put together a press gang. When he comes staggering out of the pub some night, pop him with a cudgel, and drag him off to the smallest, leakiest boat you can find. When he comes to, he'll see a huge, ugly chief standing over him growling: "YER IN THE NAVY, BOY, AARRGGH!!

I got seasick on my first cruise in the North Atlantic. On a frickin' aircraft carrier! Not fun at all.