Tall chef

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WolfBane77, Nov 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking to join the Royal Navy as a chef, I am 6ft 10inchs and I'm wondering would my height stop me being able to join as a chef?
  2. Might be a little irritating on a submarine but I see no reason why it would preclude you from any job.
  3. Seriously, your bunk might be more of a problem.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are no upper height restrictions, but as rightly stated -bunk beds maybe a bit of a squeeze.

Ironically, some of the tallest matelots I've seen (6foot 6inches & taller) always seem to serve in the submarine service - one job I'd have thought more cramped for space than most.

Someone's bound to mention a career destined to be right-hand marker in a marching squad, so I guess it may as well be me. It could be worse, you could have ginger hair.
  5. As a chef your height would definitely be advantageous, who in their right mind is going to complain about the scran?:p
  6. Any Matloet who doesn't like the food :p brave bunch Matloets :)
  7. Matloet? A small matelot?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Its not just in the kitchen that you're going to be stooped. The Frd (Emergency) Store on a 23 is about 3 foot high. And that's being generous!
  9. In which case everyone will have to stoop but not quite as much as the OP.
  10. Fixed the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Indeed. It was a nightmare storing ship and making the daily issue :(
  12. You may have a problem with short crust pastry.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. I served with a WAFU who was about 6'8".

He had special freak uniform with extra bits sewn onto the legs of his trousers and ovies.

He used to sleep on a bottom bunk with his feet resting on a chair and in all seriousness he suffered from terrible back problems due to sleeping in a cramped bunk space for 12 years.

Last time I spoke to him, he was in the process of being medically discharged due to his back snags.
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The only thing that would stop you joining as a chef is demonstrating any ability to cook :)
  15. 15 posts before somebody had to mention it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. On the Invincible in 84 a WEM joined who was 7'2" the chippies made an extended bunk for him and bolted it onto lockers in a corner of his mess. Even on a carrier he had to stoop a lot, not sure how long he served
  17. As an aside. When in Charleston South Carolina, I got a bit hammered and invited a load of
    new mates down the boat for a look around after a particularly heavy sesh in a Niteclub
    called *SOMEPLACE ELSE* out in the sticks. What showed up the next day, was half a
    dozen dark gentlemen who compromised a large part of a local basketball team, and all
    of 'em were about 14' 19" in height or thereabouts. Much joviality followed as we tried to
    shove them down the Main Access Hatch and into the Control Room. Suffice to say - they
    enjoyed the tour, even if most of it was done on their hands and knees (with a stop over in
    the JR's Mess to try a few tins of apple juice....."go on it's apples...it won't hurt you!").
    Getting them back into their bus was a bit of a catastrophe though.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. My, how fucking original.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.