Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tall chef

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to join the Royal Navy as a chef, I am 6ft 10inchs and I'm wondering would my height stop me being able to join as a chef?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There are no upper height restrictions, but as rightly stated -bunk beds maybe a bit of a squeeze.

Ironically, some of the tallest matelots I've seen (6foot 6inches & taller) always seem to serve in the submarine service - one job I'd have thought more cramped for space than most.

Someone's bound to mention a career destined to be right-hand marker in a marching squad, so I guess it may as well be me. It could be worse, you could have ginger hair.

slim

War Hero
As a chef your height would definitely be advantageous, who in their right mind is going to complain about the scran?:p

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Its not just in the kitchen that you're going to be stooped. The Frd (Emergency) Store on a 23 is about 3 foot high. And that's being generous!

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I served with a WAFU who was about 6'8".

He had special freak uniform with extra bits sewn onto the legs of his trousers and ovies.

He used to sleep on a bottom bunk with his feet resting on a chair and in all seriousness he suffered from terrible back problems due to sleeping in a cramped bunk space for 12 years.

Last time I spoke to him, he was in the process of being medically discharged due to his back snags.

BillyNoMates

War Hero

BusterQuin

War Hero
On the Invincible in 84 a WEM joined who was 7'2" the chippies made an extended bunk for him and bolted it onto lockers in a corner of his mess. Even on a carrier he had to stoop a lot, not sure how long he served

BillyNoMates

War Hero
As an aside. When in Charleston South Carolina, I got a bit hammered and invited a load of
new mates down the boat for a look around after a particularly heavy sesh in a Niteclub
called *SOMEPLACE ELSE* out in the sticks. What showed up the next day, was half a
dozen dark gentlemen who compromised a large part of a local basketball team, and all
of 'em were about 14' 19" in height or thereabouts. Much joviality followed as we tried to
shove them down the Main Access Hatch and into the Control Room. Suffice to say - they
enjoyed the tour, even if most of it was done on their hands and knees (with a stop over in
the JR's Mess to try a few tins of apple juice....."go on it's apples...it won't hurt you!").
Getting them back into their bus was a bit of a catastrophe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS TALL Security Print export to Kenya with help from UKEF MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Tall ship/Warship History 7
scouse This years Tall Ships Race History 1
mac12t I'm 17, 191cm tall (6ft3in), and want to become a Royal Navy pilot... The Fleet Air Arm 17
scouse Liverpool Tall ships return Diamond Lil's 2
scouse Tall ships return to Liverpool Diamond Lil's 0
scouse Tall ships return to Liverpool Diamond Lil's 2
trelawney126 Columbian Tall ship visits London Travel & The Great Outdoors 2
scouse Tall ships 2011 Current Affairs 15
soleil RN Site: "RN Helicopters Scrambled to Stricken Tall Ship" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Telegraph: Cdr Jeff Tall RN (SM) On The Chilean Miners Submariners 15
scouse Tall Ships at Hartlepool 7th till 10th August Current Affairs 1
Drakey A Tall Tale Current Affairs 4
w.anchor Tall Ships History 3
stan_the_man fcuk my tall hat Diamond Lil's 16
soleil Commander Jeff Tall OBE on "Past and Present Danger" Submariners 2
scouse Tall Ships Current Affairs 24
scouse Tall Ships Current Affairs 3
M Tall ships The Quarterdeck 16
A Tall Ships Race & Seasick Crew bottling out... Current Affairs 35
D CDR JEFF J TALL Submariners 23
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
C Apprentice chef RFA 2
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
T Apprentice chef RFA 18
N Waiting times 2020 for a chef Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
N How tough is the competition to become a chef apprentice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Chef Apprentice course RFA 24
O Advice - join from South Africa as Chef Joining the Royal Navy 5
B RFA chef apprentice. Joining the Royal Navy 21
H Does a Chef Apprentice have deep sea diving training for when fish stocks are low? RFA 29
Logisticogs Phase 2 - Chef training, Raleigh or Pompey? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T I have recently applied for the apprentice chef role can anyone tell me when the sift is? RFA 6
U Difficulty getting into RFA as apprentice chef? RFA 28
D Submarine Chef Submariners 21
Wightsparker Watch your back, Chef.... Diamond Lil's 21
T Joining as a Chef Joining the Royal Navy 15
Kham Apprentice Chef work pattern RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Gun Training. RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Wages. RFA 5
J HMS Raleigh, Chef Apprentice. RFA 16
T Chef Course is the hardest? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
J Chef Training Joining the Royal Navy 11
J Chef Apprentice Guidance RFA 12