Taliban advance in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reuters April 24th:

Taliban militants have pushed closer to the capital in recent days, vowing to impose their strict version of Islam across the nuclear-armed Muslim state.

Earlier this month, Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari signed a regulation imposing Islamic law in the northwestern Swat valley as part of a deal to end Taliban violence.

"We are following developments in Pakistan very closely and believe like our partners, that the advance of the Taliban ... is worrying," Foreign Ministry spokesman Andreas Peschke told reporters.

Peschke said the Taliban was still far from the capital and warned against overdramatising the situation, but added: "Nevertheless, the infiltration of armed fighters is at odds with the truce agreed with the militants. This is a situation that has to fill us with concern."

He expressed doubt that deals with the Taliban, like the one in Swat, could help the cause of peace in Pakistan and urged Islamabad to be "active and decisive" in dealing with the security situation.

On Thursday the United States said it was "extremely concerned" about the developments in Pakistan.

A Taliban spokesman said earlier on Friday that a Pakistani Taliban commander had ordered his men to withdraw from the Buner district, a valley just 100 km (60 miles) from Islamabad.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Pakistan is a time bomb waiting to go off, it's going to be very ugly. Does the government really have control over the army? Mad mullahs and nukes, handy.

3. I can see a slow descent into civil war for Pakistan unless they grab the Taliban by the throat and kill it off. I doubt if they have the political will to do that. If the Taliban gain control of the country I wonder how India will feel about a bunch of nuclear islamic fundementalists on their doorstep.

4. It will be fun & games over there soon, you re right about the Nukes mate!! these nutters will set the cnuts off over to India, Most Pak's are a bit to thick to think for themselves so Terry has already won in my humble opinion....I have currently over 300 on my site over here.. thick as pigshite :p

5. I would put money on the good ol US of A taking out the nukc launch sites the minute that "Terry" takes Islambad that will be soon :oops:

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I wouldn't bet against you.

7. Let's get this straight!Pakistan falls to the Tallies and they have nukes,Iran goes ahead with their nukes and threatens Israel,North Korea has developed nukes and wants to use them because they are mad with nothing to lose.
    What's the answer to all this?there is none.
    The Yanks can't and won't use tactical nukes against these states Bush may have but Obama won't.
    We can't do much,we stop brave Ghurkas and let in Talliban recruiters so we are shagged with Broon in charge.
    Cameron needs to promise to scrap the Human rights act and start kicking out those who want to harm us.[I know about home grown ones but they will be less effective without recruiters coming here].
    Europe needs to put a ring of steel around it's borders like the USA.
    Can any one explain to me why we let the French buy into all our energy and water companies and we buy all our missiles from them,we can't build a warship unless we use their electronic systems and we need their expertise to build our power stations and yet we still allow them to advise illegals to come here, as many as they can ship over.
    It's crazy Broon should say, stop the illegals getting here or get your companies out of the UK the French will soon cave in!
    Why does the French not pay benifits to illegals yet we have to provide them;by law,with everything?what's good for the French should be good for us but we have a cowardly government.
    Right Sunday rant over still don't know the nukes answer though.

8. Not daft the French, are they! 8)

As for the Pakistanis. Well, I don't trust them one bit.
    They always say what they think you want to hear and jump up and down like spoilt brats in a playground if you don't agree with them. :evil:

9. I would say that Pakistan is the biggest threat to the West by far at the present time, their administration if you can call it that have already caved in to the taliban in the Swat Valley and there is without doubt taliban sympathisers and possibly active agents within the security services and government. If they, the taliban were to gain control of nuclear weapons they will have to be dealt with and no holds barred, just who will deal with them remains to be seen but I would put the USA at the top of my list.

10. I don't consider any of your post a "Rant".
    Only prob is if we could say it openly "Mainstream" we might get an audience, but that you can NOT do as they gag us with the Race relations act, but that is not seen as a breach of human rights.
    Freedom of speech used to be a basic right, not any more. :cry: :cry: