Talaiasi Labalaba

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The SAS are going to raise a statue to him - about time.

RM

2. ITV4 1930 Heroes of the SAS. Battle of Mirbat

It's a repeat but well worth a squint

3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There have always been Fijiians in the Army and the vast majority of them are excellent soldiers. There is a reason why a lot of them join the Regiment.

It has always been a mystery why he only received a posthumous MID when his actions (if you read what he did at Mirbat) were worthy of, at THE VERY LEAST, an MM. A VC would not have been out of place to be honest. A lot of the lads who were there say much the same thing.

Mirbat makes interesting reading for those who have never heard of it. It goes to prove that there is no such thing as superiority in numbers.

4. Blackrat

While i think about it, i believe that there is a statue to Laba in the Government HQ in Fiji. They, at least, know his worth.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A good write up here taken from the Britains Small Wars website, an excellent and informative site if you haven't found it yet.

6. Haven't found it yet Janner and probably never will unless you share the link!

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I got excited :oops:

8. Blackrat

That's the Army life for you.

9. I was once privileged to have a drink with Tak in the mess at Hereford when attached to 23 SAS(V) during my TA service. Another deceivingly "gentle giant", with which the regiment abounds. Was also able to peruse Terence Cuneo's original painting of the battle of Mirbat, which hangs in the mess.

2BM

10. Blackrat

Did you find the mouse in the picture? All his paintings contain a mouse doing some sort of mischief.

11. It's a sad that Talaiasi Labalaba is no loner with us.I would have loved to see him debate with that racist charlatan Nick Griffin on Question Time tonight.
    I think we will have a very long wait before someone erects a statue in honor of that tosser Griffin. :violent1:

12. Shortly after Hell freezes over I suspect

13. Met Mrs. Labalaba at a wedding reception in Yerfurd when I was best-man for one of the 'Merry Widows'. Smashing lady.

RM

14. Nice one X.R.D. :1: