Taking stuff to phase 2 training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Zoidberg, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking at getting a new PC and a new guitar in the next month or two. However, I don't really want to get them and have nowhere to store them when and if I get that far.

Will there be room or should I sacrifice the guitar to get a laptop?
  2. Have you got your start date yet Zoid? Isn't it likely to be in the quite distant future?

I'd suggest you buy a guitar. Even if you can't take it with you, for whatever reason, a good instrument tends to retain much of it's value so selling it on shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You can then buy the laptop with the money you'd have spent on a PC and the resale value of your guitar. Best of both worlds?

Alternatively, there are some very cheap laptops around right now that have all the functionality you'll need, except the ability to play games.

3. The same storage space issues will occur at your Phase 2 Training Establishment as at Raleigh.
    Why not wait until you're at your first draft after completing all training, then you'll be able to ask your DO how much room is available to store all your paraphernalia?

Edited for Mong spelling
  4. if you want a laptop for games be prepared to pay £1200+ as with mine cost £2300. Also they can be pretty hefty, but defo worth the money if you cant carry a desktop. Also if you do get one of these dont bother with the battery as they will be lucky to last a hour, its mains adaptor only.
    Try these sites if you want

Mesh Computers
    Nova tech.
  5. You can sign out guitars from the chaplaincy in Raleigh, check with your phase 2 establishment if they do the same. A guitar is a big bit of kit to lug around between establishments when you've got all the rest of your kit to hump about as well
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well, every day's a school day, that's a new one on me. 8O

Presumably one simply asks the Bish if you can have a bash on his axe?
  7. You can but you have to play the cnuting thing in church! And Daffys talking pump, I got an ASUS G1 for 800 notes and it runs Crysis and Farcry 2 fine.

Dr Z, get a laptop as you'll be moving around a bit, and as for a guitar, can you not keep it at yer parentals until you get settled?
  8. Newbies are well looked after these days Ninja.
    I believe that you can also sign out a blow up doll and the ships re-useable condom from the padre
  9. It's when he asks you to play on his organ you have to get worried
  10. Talking pump???, i can play crysis and far cry 2, call of duty 4/5, world at war and supreme commander all demanding games on a max res 1920x1200, 16 AA and average 45 fps, can yours ?????
  11. Ninja_Stoker

No wonder church can get tedious- imagine 'Smoke on the Water' & 'Stairway to Heaven' every single Sunday in Raleigh, it'd be like living in a high street music shop at 2 O'clock on an average saturday afternoon.

Perhaps they should now hand-out Clipper cigarette lighters for the compulsory congregation to hold aloft during the riff.

Gosh, how nice.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure I remember the tune/words to that one, Jimbo. Then again you're the musical chap, so we'll assume it's similar to the "Fog on the Tyne".
  13. Yet you're looking at all those lovely graphics with a laptop screen that probably has a 20degree effective viewing angle and a really really gash contrast ratio. Money well spent I don't think.

There's absolutely no need to buy a £2k+ laptop to play games on at all as regardless of how much you spend the visuals are always going to be sub-par.

As for Dr. Zoidberg, get yourself a laptop for phase 2, it'll come in handy and you'll always have enough room to store something the size of a book. If you're just after facebook/email etc and don't want to play games get a cheap little netbook, they're very quick (at what they're made for) and very compact.
  14. My screen is a 17inch, and does not fade no matter where i look at it. Also it out performs most desktops, so i am happy with it.
  15. I haven't a clue as I have known the touch of a woman and don't get that excited by trivial stats.

What I'm saying is it plays them fine, with no slowdown therefore is more than adequate and there is absolutely no need to spend silly money on a laptop.

Now put your overpriced laptop away and stop c0ck waving.
  16. A women??? lol ok

I got to find something to pass the time as my other half is overseas working.
  17. Cheers, guys. It is in the distant future but I like to forward plan. It's like an OCD.

My step-dad pretty much keeps telling me that he won't let any of my stuff be stored at home :)

So I need to sell most of it, and put the rest at a mate's or something.
  18. Ha i was the same like that many years back with my parents.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Experience shows that this saves him having to pack your stuff when they move house the week after you join.
  20. Ha Ha, NS.

Zoid - there's always a storage company. They're not too bad for price to be honest.