Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking stuff to phase 2 training

Zoidberg

War Hero
I'm looking at getting a new PC and a new guitar in the next month or two. However, I don't really want to get them and have nowhere to store them when and if I get that far.

Will there be room or should I sacrifice the guitar to get a laptop?

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
Have you got your start date yet Zoid? Isn't it likely to be in the quite distant future?

I'd suggest you buy a guitar. Even if you can't take it with you, for whatever reason, a good instrument tends to retain much of it's value so selling it on shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You can then buy the laptop with the money you'd have spent on a PC and the resale value of your guitar. Best of both worlds?

Alternatively, there are some very cheap laptops around right now that have all the functionality you'll need, except the ability to play games.

http://www0.uk.shopping.com/xPO-Ace...6GHz-512MB-120GB-8-9-inch-TFT-LCD-with-Webcam

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
The same storage space issues will occur at your Phase 2 Training Establishment as at Raleigh.
Why not wait until you're at your first draft after completing all training, then you'll be able to ask your DO how much room is available to store all your paraphernalia?

Edited for Mong spelling

daffy1

War Hero
if you want a laptop for games be prepared to pay £1200+ as with mine cost £2300. Also they can be pretty hefty, but defo worth the money if you cant carry a desktop. Also if you do get one of these dont bother with the battery as they will be lucky to last a hour, its mains adaptor only.
Try these sites if you want

Rockdirect
Alienware
Mesh Computers
Eurcom
Dell
Nova tech.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You can sign out guitars from the chaplaincy in Raleigh, check with your phase 2 establishment if they do the same. A guitar is a big bit of kit to lug around between establishments when you've got all the rest of your kit to hump about as well

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
WreckerL said:
You can sign out guitars from the chaplaincy in Raleigh,

Well, every day's a school day, that's a new one on me. 8O

Presumably one simply asks the Bish if you can have a bash on his axe?

WreckerL said:
You can sign out guitars from the chaplaincy in Raleigh, check with your phase 2 establishment if they do the same. A guitar is a big bit of kit to lug around between establishments when you've got all the rest of your kit to hump about as well

You can but you have to play the cnuting thing in church! And Daffys talking pump, I got an ASUS G1 for 800 notes and it runs Crysis and Farcry 2 fine.

Dr Z, get a laptop as you'll be moving around a bit, and as for a guitar, can you not keep it at yer parentals until you get settled?

slim

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
WreckerL said:

Newbies are well looked after these days Ninja.
I believe that you can also sign out a blow up doll and the ships re-useable condom from the padre

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ninja_Stoker said:
WreckerL said:

It's when he asks you to play on his organ you have to get worried

daffy1

War Hero
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
WreckerL said:

You can but you have to play the cnuting thing in church! And Daffys talking pump, I got an ASUS G1 for 800 notes and it runs Crysis and Farcry 2 fine.

Dr Z, get a laptop as you'll be moving around a bit, and as for a guitar, can you not keep it at yer parentals until you get settled?

Talking pump???, i can play crysis and far cry 2, call of duty 4/5, world at war and supreme commander all demanding games on a max res 1920x1200, 16 AA and average 45 fps, can yours ?????

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
WreckerL said:

You can but you have to play the cnuting thing in church!

No wonder church can get tedious- imagine 'Smoke on the Water' & 'Stairway to Heaven' every single Sunday in Raleigh, it'd be like living in a high street music shop at 2 O'clock on an average saturday afternoon.

Perhaps they should now hand-out Clipper cigarette lighters for the compulsory congregation to hold aloft during the riff.

daffy1 said:
i can play crysis and far cry 2, call of duty 4/5, world at war and supreme commander all demanding games on a max res 1920x1200, 16 AA and average 45 fps,

Gosh, how nice.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
StixJimboRM said:
...how about 'shite on the sludge' for when the tide goes out along the creek, that farkin horrid smell, makes me cringe to think of it now!!!

Not sure I remember the tune/words to that one, Jimbo. Then again you're the musical chap, so we'll assume it's similar to the "Fog on the Tyne".

captainobvious

Lantern Swinger
daffy1 said:
Talking pump???, i can play crysis and far cry 2, call of duty 4/5, world at war and supreme commander all demanding games on a max res 1920x1200, 16 AA and average 45 fps, can yours ?????

Yet you're looking at all those lovely graphics with a laptop screen that probably has a 20degree effective viewing angle and a really really gash contrast ratio. Money well spent I don't think.

There's absolutely no need to buy a £2k+ laptop to play games on at all as regardless of how much you spend the visuals are always going to be sub-par.

As for Dr. Zoidberg, get yourself a laptop for phase 2, it'll come in handy and you'll always have enough room to store something the size of a book. If you're just after facebook/email etc and don't want to play games get a cheap little netbook, they're very quick (at what they're made for) and very compact.

daffy1

War Hero
My screen is a 17inch, and does not fade no matter where i look at it. Also it out performs most desktops, so i am happy with it.

daffy1 said:

I haven't a clue as I have known the touch of a woman and don't get that excited by trivial stats.

What I'm saying is it plays them fine, with no slowdown therefore is more than adequate and there is absolutely no need to spend silly money on a laptop.

Now put your overpriced laptop away and stop c0ck waving.

daffy1

War Hero
daffy1 said:

I haven't a clue as I have known the touch of a woman and don't get that excited by trivial stats.

What I'm saying is it plays them fine, with no slowdown therefore is more than adequate and there is absolutely no need to spend silly money on a laptop.

Now put your overpriced laptop away and stop c0ck waving.

A women??? lol ok

I got to find something to pass the time as my other half is overseas working.

Zoidberg

War Hero
Cheers, guys. It is in the distant future but I like to forward plan. It's like an OCD.

My step-dad pretty much keeps telling me that he won't let any of my stuff be stored at home :)

So I need to sell most of it, and put the rest at a mate's or something.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Dr.Zoidberg said:
My step-dad pretty much keeps telling me that he won't let any of my stuff be stored at home :)

Experience shows that this saves him having to pack your stuff when they move house the week after you join.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Taking agri-tech skills to Africa: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Devon residents urged to check who is taking their green waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking action on climate risk: Improving governance and reporting by occupational pension schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The steps Cefas are taking during the Coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking multiple medicines? Support the Yellow Card scheme by reporting suspected side effects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK is taking forward future trade and investment relationship with Japan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking steps to ensure the UN remains sustainable and effective MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation to update Ofqual’s 'Taking Regulatory Action' policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student drivers urged to lighten up before taking to the road as Freshers’ season starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Census rehearsal taking place this autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking the MRO option - Tied rent considerations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Builder banned for taking clients’ money despite company’s insolvency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Second round of £5 million Taking Teaching Further programme opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity taking steps to regularise its governance following Charity Commission inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welfare reform success with 54,000 benefit cap households taking on more work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sky's the limit for defence personnel taking part in Edinburgh Tattoo MoD News 0
L Taking my bike with me Travel & The Great Outdoors 15
MoD_RSS News story: Defence minister meets teenagers taking part in pilot Army supercamp MoD News 0
L Taking holidays Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Time between applying and taking the fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Taking Suppliments? Health & Fitness 10
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary visits UK personnel taking the fight to Daesh MoD News 0
A Royal Tournament 1950s,information about a relative taking part ? History 5
soleil Pompey News: "New Captain Speaks Of Pride After Taking The Helm Of HMS Warrior" Bases / Shore Est 0
C giving notice after taking extended career The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
Ships_Cat Taking store names literally.... Diamond Lil's 10
soleil ThisIsMoney.Co.Uk: "Skills At BAE Systems In Barrow Taking Submarines To A New Level" Submariners 1
SONAR-BENDER MG been taking piccies? The Gash Barge 4
MG Maniac Question! Are the Ruskies taking over from the Krauts??? Diamond Lil's 2
REDMIST Taking the F***ing PISS................! Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary sees Olympic security plans taking shape Current Affairs 0
The_Caretaker Taking a break from counting his money Miscellaneous 0
slim Foreign Nationals taking British jobs Diamond Lil's 3
lewismansell Re-taking FAT's The Fleet Air Arm 0
pinkprincess Taking a break... Blogs 15
2 Taking a Stand Current Affairs 1
Z Taking antihistamines if you can't sleep... Health & Fitness 12
The_Jimmy Taking a women to bed Diamond Lil's 2
D They are taking the P*ss! Current Affairs 19
superpom Taking Chance (home) Current Affairs 4
YouAreHavingALaugh Queens Guard retaliates to [email protected]@ taking student Current Affairs 53
Nails Taking my clippers to CTCRM The Corps 57
broadside Really taking the pi55! Current Affairs 9
D Newbie advice please- taking personal kit to basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
C Taking Holidays Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 33
D my experience of taking a language course abroad Travel & The Great Outdoors 0
davy_longshanks Idiot teachers taking kids up mountains The Gash Barge 0
L Taking your kids to the Good ole US of A ? Current Affairs 10