Taking my bike with me

Alright lads, I’ve heard a few stories of people taking their bikes with them on deployment, and was wondering if anyone has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, cheers

Alright lads, I’ve heard a few stories of people taking their bikes with them on deployment, and was wondering if anyone has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, cheers
First thing you should think about is where would you stow it on route to new and exciting cycle routes? There will be some places where you could no doubt but would need agreement from whoever was responsible for the compartment.

Issue never came up on SSBNs, other than where to stow bikes or parts thereof on the way back from USA. Other than that the only bikes onboard were on 4 deck and provided a wonderful view of the bulkhead when cycling.

As MCC said, biggest issue is storage.
That said, I have been on ships where the Ships Company Welfare Fund has bought a couple of bikes for loan use.

The only reason i ask is when i was on my PRNC on our ships tour of a type 45, i saw what looked like a compartment of bikes and other leisure stuff like golfing equipment. I also have a friend who has been in for years and he told me stories about how he took his With him on occasion

I was on the previous Bulwark and took a bike onboard - obviously there was shed-loads of space to hide store it. I recall cyling round Copenhagen - very nice! Much cheaper than taxis too!

It will be impossible on a boat as a 'normal' bikes wheels are too big to go down the main access hatch.

A load of cheap mountain bikes were bought in the States and brought back on one T boat I was on, they all made it back safely. Stowing them down the boat was interesting.

The dit I heard was that one of the lads bought an all singing, all dancing mega expensive bike at a great price in a PX on some US Navy base. As the boat was in AMP, the main access hatch rim had been removed, which meant he could get the bike (wheels) into the boat. The bike was then dismantled and carefully stashed away.

The purchaser knew that he (nor anyone else!) would be able to get the bike off the boat until arrival in the UK and the main access hatch rim was again removed.

However, this being the submarine service, nothing should be taken for granted....... Once at sea, his 'friends' got bored, as you do. So the story goes that they decided to cut the bike into bits and pop them into the gash compactor.

Back alongside in the UK, the luckless purchaser seemingly searched the boat high and low, as it couldn' t have gone anywhere - could it....?

I do hope this is a true dit, or even based on truth, as shows sheer genius!

The dit I heard was that one of the lads bought an all singing, all dancing mega expensive bike at a great price in a PX on some US Navy base. As the boat was in AMP, the main access hatch rim had been removed, which meant he could get the bike (wheels) into the boat. The bike was then dismantled and carefully stashed away.

The purchaser knew that he (nor anyone else!) would be able to get the bike off the boat until arrival in the UK and the main access hatch rim was again removed.

However, this being the submarine service, nothing should be taken for granted....... Once at sea, his 'friends' got bored, as you do. So the story goes that they decided to cut the bike into bits and pop them into the gash compactor.

Back alongside in the UK, the luckless purchaser seemingly searched the boat high and low, as it couldn' t have gone anywhere - could it....?

I do hope this is a true dit, or even based on truth, as shows sheer genius!
The one I heard was about a HD that was dismantled on the jetty, double bagged and stored and on return to the U.K. Then reassembled at home.

There’s a lot of embellishment depending on where you hear the dit.

Latest Threads