Taking my bike with me

lewis1664

Midshipman
Alright lads, I’ve heard a few stories of people taking their bikes with them on deployment, and was wondering if anyone has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, cheers

Alright lads, I’ve heard a few stories of people taking their bikes with them on deployment, and was wondering if anyone has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, cheers
First thing you should think about is where would you stow it on route to new and exciting cycle routes? There will be some places where you could no doubt but would need agreement from whoever was responsible for the compartment.

Issue never came up on SSBNs, other than where to stow bikes or parts thereof on the way back from USA. Other than that the only bikes onboard were on 4 deck and provided a wonderful view of the bulkhead when cycling.

Taztiff

War Hero
As MCC said, biggest issue is storage.
That said, I have been on ships where the Ships Company Welfare Fund has bought a couple of bikes for loan use.

lewis1664

Midshipman
The only reason i ask is when i was on my PRNC on our ships tour of a type 45, i saw what looked like a compartment of bikes and other leisure stuff like golfing equipment. I also have a friend who has been in for years and he told me stories about how he took his With him on occasion

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was on the previous Bulwark and took a bike onboard - obviously there was shed-loads of space to hide store it. I recall cyling round Copenhagen - very nice! Much cheaper than taxis too!

It will be impossible on a boat as a 'normal' bikes wheels are too big to go down the main access hatch.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
A load of cheap mountain bikes were bought in the States and brought back on one T boat I was on, they all made it back safely. Stowing them down the boat was interesting.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The dit I heard was that one of the lads bought an all singing, all dancing mega expensive bike at a great price in a PX on some US Navy base. As the boat was in AMP, the main access hatch rim had been removed, which meant he could get the bike (wheels) into the boat. The bike was then dismantled and carefully stashed away.

The purchaser knew that he (nor anyone else!) would be able to get the bike off the boat until arrival in the UK and the main access hatch rim was again removed.

However, this being the submarine service, nothing should be taken for granted....... Once at sea, his 'friends' got bored, as you do. So the story goes that they decided to cut the bike into bits and pop them into the gash compactor.

Back alongside in the UK, the luckless purchaser seemingly searched the boat high and low, as it couldn' t have gone anywhere - could it....?

I do hope this is a true dit, or even based on truth, as shows sheer genius!

LateToTheParty

Lantern Swinger
The dit I heard was that one of the lads bought an all singing, all dancing mega expensive bike at a great price in a PX on some US Navy base. As the boat was in AMP, the main access hatch rim had been removed, which meant he could get the bike (wheels) into the boat. The bike was then dismantled and carefully stashed away.

The purchaser knew that he (nor anyone else!) would be able to get the bike off the boat until arrival in the UK and the main access hatch rim was again removed.

However, this being the submarine service, nothing should be taken for granted....... Once at sea, his 'friends' got bored, as you do. So the story goes that they decided to cut the bike into bits and pop them into the gash compactor.

Back alongside in the UK, the luckless purchaser seemingly searched the boat high and low, as it couldn' t have gone anywhere - could it....?

I do hope this is a true dit, or even based on truth, as shows sheer genius!
The one I heard was about a HD that was dismantled on the jetty, double bagged and stored and on return to the U.K. Then reassembled at home.

There’s a lot of embellishment depending on where you hear the dit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Devon residents urged to check who is taking their green waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking action on climate risk: Improving governance and reporting by occupational pension schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The steps Cefas are taking during the Coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking multiple medicines? Support the Yellow Card scheme by reporting suspected side effects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK is taking forward future trade and investment relationship with Japan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking steps to ensure the UN remains sustainable and effective MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation to update Ofqual’s 'Taking Regulatory Action' policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student drivers urged to lighten up before taking to the road as Freshers’ season starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Census rehearsal taking place this autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking the MRO option - Tied rent considerations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Builder banned for taking clients’ money despite company’s insolvency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Second round of £5 million Taking Teaching Further programme opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity taking steps to regularise its governance following Charity Commission inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welfare reform success with 54,000 benefit cap households taking on more work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sky's the limit for defence personnel taking part in Edinburgh Tattoo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence minister meets teenagers taking part in pilot Army supercamp MoD News 0
L Taking holidays Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Time between applying and taking the fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Taking Suppliments? Health & Fitness 10
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary visits UK personnel taking the fight to Daesh MoD News 0
A Royal Tournament 1950s,information about a relative taking part ? History 5
soleil Pompey News: "New Captain Speaks Of Pride After Taking The Helm Of HMS Warrior" Bases / Shore Est 0
C giving notice after taking extended career The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
Ships_Cat Taking store names literally.... Diamond Lil's 10
soleil ThisIsMoney.Co.Uk: "Skills At BAE Systems In Barrow Taking Submarines To A New Level" Submariners 1
SONAR-BENDER MG been taking piccies? The Gash Barge 4
MG Maniac Question! Are the Ruskies taking over from the Krauts??? Diamond Lil's 2
REDMIST Taking the F***ing PISS................! Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary sees Olympic security plans taking shape Current Affairs 0
The_Caretaker Taking a break from counting his money Miscellaneous 0
slim Foreign Nationals taking British jobs Diamond Lil's 3
lewismansell Re-taking FAT's The Fleet Air Arm 0
pinkprincess Taking a break... Blogs 15
2 Taking a Stand Current Affairs 1
Z Taking antihistamines if you can't sleep... Health & Fitness 12
The_Jimmy Taking a women to bed Diamond Lil's 2
Z Taking stuff to phase 2 training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
D They are taking the P*ss! Current Affairs 19
superpom Taking Chance (home) Current Affairs 4
YouAreHavingALaugh Queens Guard retaliates to [email protected]@ taking student Current Affairs 53
Nails Taking my clippers to CTCRM The Corps 57
broadside Really taking the pi55! Current Affairs 9
D Newbie advice please- taking personal kit to basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
C Taking Holidays Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 33
D my experience of taking a language course abroad Travel & The Great Outdoors 0
davy_longshanks Idiot teachers taking kids up mountains The Gash Barge 0
L Taking your kids to the Good ole US of A ? Current Affairs 10
rod-gearing Taking the biscuit Diamond Lil's 16