Taking antihistamines if you can't sleep...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zoidberg, Dec 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that a lot of people in Phase 1 will have a couple of nights where they can't sleep. I do suffer, mildly, from hayfever so I'll take antihistamines just incase(and yes, I know you have to tell the sickbay).

I took them a couple of years ago to help me sleep when I had chicken pox. Would taking them to help you sleep be allowed or would it be seen as abusing medication?

Inb4 "man up" and similar.

Cheers

Edit for: Crap grammar

2. You shouldn't have any problem sleeping.

If you aren't tired in the evenings, then your Div Instructor, PTIs, parade staff and the rest haven't been doing their jobs properly.

3. Echo the above - you will not have problems sleeping. Sedating antihistamines (such as chlorphenamine (Piriton)) are not permitted at sea (don't want you sleeping through a general alarm) so you'd better get out of the habit of taking them now.

4. Righto then. I haven't taken any since I was 15, but I still get a bit sniffly in the summer and carry them just incase.

Cheers.

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Many years ago in the days of 10MCM, a much younger LRO(T) FlagWagger managed to sleep through a fire alarm at 0300, no alcohol, no medication, just natural tiredness. One of the non-duty part came back on board in the usual post-run-ashore state, headed into the JR's mess, slapped two slices of bread into the toaster and set it to "cremate" - he promptly sat back and fell asleep. Five minutes later the duty fire-party (XMT myself) woke him up when they investigated the reported alarm. The first I knew of the alarm was the next morning when one of my watchkeeping colleagues asked me what I thought of the stupid [email protected] who'd spoiled his beauty sleep.

If getting to sleep is a problem, there's a remedy on sale over here in Canuckistan called Melatonin which I've used successfully to help me get off to sleep and also as a treatment for jet lag. I don't however know whether its available your side of the pond or what the RN medics would think of such stuff.

6. That's crazy, FW...did the toast survive?

Sleeping isn't really a problem for me, but I think most people find sleeping in a new bed can result in a disturbing sleep.

7. Melatonin is used in the UK but it is not a licensed medication and, as such, can only be purchased in health food shops. Any drug which can sedate is controlled in the RN (ie locked in the controlled drugs locker) and are only used when absolutely necessary.

It is illegal to use any medication on board HM Ships without the prior knowledge of the medical staff.

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Where did you find this out?

I found getting to sleep at night during part 1 training not a problem. Infact, I found staying awake quite hard during some of the day classes.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I have used melatonin occasionally for very specific reasons (jet lag particularly) but only in a civvy context and was not recommending that people should actively seek it out to prevent Phase 1 insomnia - as many others have said, staying awake should be more of an issue.

Same here in Canada, actually - so if it is not a licensed mediaction, where would it fit in the view of the RN medical world? Is this a nasty grey area that falls between the MAs and the Reggies?

Makes sense - anything that could put the duty watch to sleep should be controlled (especially the XO's daily dits!).

Again, makes perfect sense.

10. If you can't sleep then beat one off simples

11. As an apprentice I was adrift from a Duty Watch muster at Collingwood because I lay on my pit after scran and nodded off.

When I pleaded mitigation due to the sickbay-prescribed antihistamines I'd been taking to combat hayfever, it did nothing to reduce my puns. (They didn't do non-drowsy ones then).

I can't add anything more to the qualified medical advice already posted but I never needed antihistamines at sea and I don't think you will either - there's no pollen in mid-Atlantic.

12. I should've phrased it better. "I'd be surprised if people slept well all the time...", perhaps. :p

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

On the flip-side:

Generally hayfever tends not to be as much of a problem on a ship at sea as compared to sleeping in a field.