Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Take my daughter, please?

Committees vary very greatly in standards and their willingness to help a unit.

I was a cadet up until February when I turned 18 and I am now on my unit's committee. Very fortunately the unit staff and UMC get on very well indeed and I intend to keep it that way.

dunkers said:
Committees vary very greatly in standards and their willingness to help a unit.

I was a cadet up until February when I turned 18 and I am now on my unit's committee. Very fortunately the unit staff and UMC get on very well indeed and I intend to keep it that way.

you the tea boy then?

Bikini_Boy said:
Right she's in.

She loves it.

We've saw in improvement in school and home.

What I don't get is the committee seems to work against the unit!

They sit back and watch the instructors doing their job as well and don't move up a gear!

WTF is that all about then?

The curse of the Sea Cadet Corps.

Some Units have excellent committees who raise funds work tirelessly be hind the scenes and don't interfere with how the CO and staff run the Unit .....

..... other Units have a committee who don't see it as their job to raise money but that of the staff some chairmen can be over bearing and interfere

What can be done about it .......... as a District Officer if I had the solution I would be a happy and contented DO

The main thing is to support you daughter in the Unit and help the Units as much as you feel you can

The SCC is a great organisation with lots of opportunities

the UMC's main job is to provide a safe unit for staff and cadets, and to raise funds for the running of the unit. (rent,gas electric,water,phone etc)

you cant be on the UMC if you have a son/daughter in the cadets.

the UMC have the power to hire and fire staff, but we are pretty powerless when it comes to problems with a UMC.

a sea cadet unit can not run without a UMC in place (unless very special circumstances, and at that point, area may allow it)

the parents and supporters association generally raise funds for cadet use. the unit minibus, or cadets who find it difficult to afford courses, buying unit equipment etc.

each sea cadet unit is a seperate registered charity.

we to have problems with our UMC.

and we have been homeless for just shy of 2 years now, but we are still afloat.lol.

stern stuff, no we all have mush for brains, lol but we all love it.

stripey588 said:
the UMC's main job is to provide a safe unit for staff and cadets, and to raise funds for the running of the unit. (rent,gas electric,water,phone etc)

you cant be on the UMC if you have a son/daughter in the cadets.

the UMC have the power to hire and fire staff, but we are pretty powerless when it comes to problems with a UMC.

a sea cadet unit can not run without a UMC in place (unless very special circumstances, and at that point, area may allow it)

the parents and supporters association generally raise funds for cadet use. the unit minibus, or cadets who find it difficult to afford courses, buying unit equipment etc.

each sea cadet unit is a seperate registered charity.

we to have problems with our UMC.

and we have been homeless for just shy of 2 years now, but we are still afloat.lol.

stern stuff, no we all have mush for brains, lol but we all love it.

Stripey,

Parents CAN be in the UMC, the P&SA you mention is a relativley new invention as far as the SCC goes. the UMC is ultimately responsible for the fund raising, P&SAs Remit is usually food at functions, specific targeted fund raising (like a day trip).

UMCs can only Hire n Fire the CO the UMC has no say in hiring and firing staff except the initial interview with new members, once staff are in they are under the CO/DO/AO. DOs can P7 Staff not the UMC. a CO can call an extraordinary UMC Meeting and call for a vote of no confidence in the Chairman (for those reading chairman are elected annually so you can vote with your feet if they did a poor job).

You can have an SCC unit without a UMC - you automatically come under the Area Chairman (however - know this - poor relations with the UMC and Area Getting involved is a definate NO towards a Pennant or a Burgee)

Good luck with locating a new unit (havent we spoke of this on SCC Portal?) you could always canvas your local RBL or Fellowship of the services or even RNA for prospective UMC members - go ask to meet with them and put forward a presentation of past achievements and spell out that you are desperate for people like your audience who care about blah blah blah...

We are hoping to replace our current lot with coppers from the local nick. already got a volunteer to be the next Chairman, and he said he will get us some fresh blood (most of our coppers are ex forces).

Good luck, Chin up. Time for the CO to put some targets to the UMC with a plan of action and a timetable for implementation. Get your Area Chairman to come and speak to your UMC - thats what they are for.

I know of one SCC Unit that had problems like you and us, the Area Got involved and put on a presentation to the UMC, the UMC said "we didnt know we were supposed to do A B and C" even though the staff had been telling them for 30 years...

it seems the typical people who make up a UMC dont like to think they need to take orders from meer SCC staff and some how they are above us. Yet when the instructions come from the Horses mouth - they sprang into action and the unit concerned had a New building within 18 months.

Not saying this IS the case but to quote the Lotto "It could be YOU"

Also - start a lotto syndicate with the rest of the staff - if the syndicate wins the unit gets an equal share.

Rincewind

Bikini_Boy said:
So exactly what is the job of the UMC and of the staff?

The "in a nutshell/readers digest" version is:

UMC: to raise funds, Raise the profile of the unit and to provide a safe and conductive learning environment

Staff: Carry out the Aims of the Sea Cadet Corps

Thats it - thats what the Terms of Reference State for each party. not rocket science is it. yet so many units are having a battle against thier UMCs for funding and i would venture some 80% of units are so desperate that the Staff are doing all the training and all the fund raising and it cant continue - staff are becoming pessed off and leaving becasue it starts as an innocent hobby and ends up breaking up marriages and causing stress attacks.

DOs could do more in my humble opinion by running an Annual Training session to help and point UMCs in the right direction, with the Area Staff present to help underline the point.

Our Chairman said to me whilst physically threatening me last month (i accused him of coasting on past achievements as they bought less than £100 in to the Unit in the last 6 months and the staff raised £4k) that he had no vested interest in the Unit and i should be greatful that he gave up his 2-3 hours a month. Wanka. i give up 6+ hours a week every week as well as extra time in the run up to the RNP and weekend camps. To me this behaviour from a Justice of the Peace and a head teacher to boot is unnacceptable.

Having said all that. i still do it because i love it and i love the look on a cadets face when they acheive something. - thats my payment.

Will be painting my unit over the next few months ready for the RNP - am doing it battle ship grey to look like a Frigate - anyone passing with a paint brush let me know and i will fire up the BBQ :)

Rincewind

Maxi_77 said:
my wifes grandson plays football for a club
Peter

Yours wifes but not yours ??

As a MoD civvy, no kids but OH is trying (very trying) would I be welcome as a volunteer, am happy to drown the little buggers as required and it beats being home having to listen to Deadenders, Sheepshaggers or Crockanation Stroke or doing the gardening or decorating.

I'm a aware of a very nameless UMC tried to keep it an old boys club, and tried to throw a paddy when a mother of a cadet tried to join (she has other links to HM Forces as, just the sort of person we need, she has the time to dedicate to fundraising etc as well). The chairman actually tried to vote her off, thankfully the staff put him straight. (It shouldn't be a battle between Staff and UMC!)

This is the same Unit Chairman that forgot to book my trip on the International Cadet Exchange, and failed to even apologise! I really do worry that my UMC is becoming filled with Masons!

[quote="ukdaytona

As a MoD civvy, no kids but OH is trying (very trying) would I be welcome as a volunteer, am happy to drown the little buggers as required and it beats being home having to listen to Deadenders, Sheepshaggers or Crockanation Stroke or doing the gardening or decorating.[/quote]

Get down to your local unit, they should welcome you with open arms.
Be aware that to be taken on in any capacity of working with the cadets, you will be required do undergo police checks

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to throw some encouragement your way. I work training our young sailors at Collingwood, and I have to say that those with a cadet background are in the majority the best trainees. They all understand what needs to be done and work hard. Most importantly they have 'military ethos' already ingrained in them, which is vital in todays 'generation why' society.
Keep your heads up and know that the effort you put in draws real results for the guys and girls you look after.

Gollyman

Latest Threads