Tae Kwon Do in the Navy

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by Gadget, Dec 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, was unsure whether this would be better suited to the newbies section, as I'm just in the middle of my application atm (WEO, I hope).

I have seen a bit of info regarding TKD, but I was wondering if anyone here has any personal experiece with it or the RN's Martial arts asc?
    What is the training like?
    Do you get much opportunity to train?
    Is it possible to start teaching if a club isnt available? (Though wont be a problem for me for a while yet!)

I'm a 1st keup in the GTUK (a Chang Hon / ITF style org) right now, going for 1st dan in march (I missed the last test due to finishing up uni). Any information would be useful.

2. If you had searched RR this comes up:

Enjoy six pages of "Navy Taekwondo No.1 Tom Springall" ....... We Did
  3. Lol- Yes I saw that, although before many of the replies (though they missed my favorite Karate Instructor). But the vid doesnt really give any information above the fact that he is '#1' and that he appears to know Choong Moo (the pattern for my current grade- and not a blackbelt pattern), and so I presume he is from the same style as I am.
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I did it 20+ years ago at Sultan, still see various posters up (including Kendo most recenlty) so I'm sure you'll find something.

5. Hmmmmm, interesting! Was the dojo down under the arches? What style was it, as I too used to train in Sultan about then!
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

No mate, in the main gym. Taught by a chief stoker who I was also on Decrepid with in 88, so I'm talking 87. I can't remember his name but he was a short, dark, bloke, (going bald) with a set. "Robbie" rings a bell???