Tactical Recongnition Flash for the RN!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Apr 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :?: After speaking to the Defence Clothing people today, we are getting a Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF) to wear on our CS95 uniform.

Anybody want to hazard a guess on what the said item will look like????

(They did not give me a clue) 8O

You Take Your Chance When You Choose Your Branch.
  2. A subdued mini-White Ensign maybe? More to the point, why do we need one at all?
  3. It's blue on a pink background and says "Bootneck Bootneck Can't Catch Me"

4. A Dhoby Number
  5. must be a white ensign!!
  6. I've actually seen some matelots in combats with White ensigns on their arms, both desert and temperate.
  7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Would they be "real" white ensigns, i.e. white, red and blue, or "combat" white ensigns using various shades of green.
  8. Green and Black
  9. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Aye, so have I and I've been informed that they are in the wrong rig! It seems to be a diver thing as well...
  10. Plain dark blue should do it.
  11. Both now that I recall, with a sandy/light brown variant for dessies.
  12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Matelots in my unit are free to wear an Ensign (subdued of either variety) on their upper left arm. On the right upper you wear your unit TRF, TCW (90SU), RSigs, Para etc all have theirs, units, sub-units and Regts can all have theirs too.

Why have a flash - why not, the TRFs are useful even if you're not in a mass drop (what they were meant for) - we use them on Ex and in the field to spot our support.

As for Ensigns, again why not? The rules are very vague - upper left is normally a pre-sewn Union Jack, replacing that with an Ensign hurst no-one, its no worse than the new "ROYAL NAVY" name tape.

The usual anti-CS95 crowd will object, if you wear it day in day out having something to stand out in a purple crowd is good, all three services do it.

Heavens, next we'll be chastising RN Commando's for wearing their beret when not serving with 3Bde, or Submariners for wearing Dolphin tie pins.

If there is latitude why not
  13. I wear a subdued commodore's pennant as the AW branch of the RNR is oficially part of COMATG Battlestaff. Works for me!
  14. what a gash thread!!

I suggest this RN TACTICAL bo11ock5 is re-located to the correct forum i.e. the gash barge :roll:
  15. What the feck do the RN need TRF's for. Surely the fat gut,the long burners,the beret like an aircraft carrier's ski jump and the fact that they there nearer to the Naafi than the enemy, would identify them as sailors.
    You dont need them,most of the army dont use them.I thought the RN had more class than the RAF that wear more badges on there CS95 than a bunch of scouts on a church parade.
  16. What about a tasteful image of Capt Pugwash?LOL
  17. And "Ooohh Ducky! You can really run fast!"
  18. PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Total rubbish "The Army don't use them" ? When was the last time you worked with the Army or deployed?
  20. If I am wearing CS95 then something has gone horribly wrong and I think a white ensign would be nice to keep my sanity