Tablets (non pharmacological) - Which one?

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by wave_dodger, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Okay, so the W_D vintage laptop is creaking and it's now at the point whereby I need to do something so I've looked at options:

1. Nothing.
    2. New laptop.
    3. Net-Book
    4. Tablet

Discount 1, 2 - perhaps not as I don't need full "PC" functionality which leaves 3 and 4 and here I lean to 4 just "because".

So, given the market it's either IPad or an Android Tablet. I've looked about a little (but I am certain some RR or ARRSER will have more knowledge). I um and ah constantly about an Ipad because they are simply so beautifully engineered, but they do have limits and for me lack of flash is one (want to see the piste webcam right now - it's flash delivered!), then there is the ball ache of being tied to iTunes and having to convert media (particulalry films) when I want to drop them onto a device and finally, its the lack of expansion. Price is not an issue (not that I'm flush, just willing to pay for a good device).

So onto Android tablets; The Galaxy Tab (too small) but it looked good, Archos 101 looked good but then realised its stuck at Froyo and now I've seen the Motorola Xoom, which for £370 for the Wifi variant simply appears to blow away all competition.

Unless that is, Ipad2/3 offer the same/more, improve the things I dislike and are sensibly priced.

Anyone have advice/thoughts on a choice?

WD

2. I have the ipad and my brother has the Samsung galaxy. I personally think the galaxy is better in terms of clarity, the AMOLED display is amazing and with the added support of flash you get full internet browsing. If I was you I would wait for a while as Sony, Blackberry and HTC are bringing their own tablets out.

3. As above. Didnt like the Ipad myself but the Blackberry offering looks interesting

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  4. Just get an i-phone 4 and be done with it.:blob5:

• Like Like x 1
  5. wave_dodger

Iphone 4? I have an HTC Desire HD - far better, and only £18pm on contract with no data cap (been with Orange since it started!)

What I need is something I can watch films on, play music in my cabin and surf occassionally. If I need to work I'll use DII (if I must).

I agree the Blackberry and HTC devices look interesting. I saw the updates news today suggests the 3G Xoom will be here in April with CPW (bunch of clowns) and the Wifi variant will be sold by PC World/Curry et al from Summer.

I think it will still be the first one to ship as it was "launched" in Jan the rest have just been "launched".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  6. I would avoid apple on principle (I have a Dell Streak), but I recall seeing on BBC Click the other week (there maybe something on their website) about the fact that Android was only designed to go to a 7 inch screen so a bigger tablet is a compromise in picture quality.

I was going to end at that but decided to google a bit and came up with a quote:

Honeycomb (Android 3.0). This version can support resolution of 1280 x 800 Pixels and hence can easily support tablet of about 10 inch size, analyst Trip Chowdhry at Global Equities Research wrote in a note to clients. Earlier Android versions, till GingerBread (Android 2.3), have had the screen resolution limitation that prevented Android from being a solution for Tablets. Till Gingerbread (Android 2.3), Android OS has the maximum screen resolution of 1024 x 600 Pixels and that makes it suited for only screen sizes of 7 inch or less.
    Honeycomb (Android 3.0). This version can support resolution of 1280 x 800 Pixels and hence can easily support tablet of about 10 inch size, analyst Trip Chowdhry at Global Equities Research wrote in a note to clients. Earlier Android versions, till GingerBread (Android 2.3), have had the screen resolution limitation that prevented Android from being a solution for Tablets. Till Gingerbread (Android 2.3), Android OS has the maximum screen resolution of 1024 x 600 Pixels and that makes it suited for only screen sizes of 7 inch or less.

Read more: Motorola to Launch Android 3.0 Tablet in January; May Run on Verizon's LTE Network - International Business Times

It seems that Gingerbred 2.3 is a step forward but for decent tablet screen quality you need android 3.0 Honeycombe. I googled android tablet screen size limitation. May be worth putting up with the creaking laptop for a bit?

7. wave_dodger

Cheers for that, I'm overseas at the moment (skiing) will look when I get back!

WD

8. Meh, if you are sitting at home computing I would go with a netbook, they may be a little old hat but are easy to run with wi-fi N and 2gb ram is enough to make an Ipad look as shit as it actually is. Otherwise the Tab 2. Ipad2 isn't out yet, but still wont have flash and mostly is trying to catch up. Plus I wouldn't want to Q up with the shower of twats that will want one on launch day.....

9. I have an I-Pad and for watching movies, listening to music, playing games I like and reading occasional reports its great. I treat it as an entertainment device and not as a tool and as such am very happy with it. I do hate being tied to the apple store and did spend a bit of money buying apps when I first bought it.

10. Netbook - bad idea, for the screen size you mayswel buy an iPad. I prefer android so I'd say galaxy 10 or nexus 10

Laptop - self explanatory. Windows or Mac is your choice. A lot more freedom with windows IMO.

Tablet - as above. If you want freedom. Then android is the way to go I reckon. Nexus 7 is a great example. Fits in one hand nicely and is good looking. And fast!

Note: I would never completely substitute a tablet for a laptop. Unless you have a spare PC lying around. In this day and age you always need a PC

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

11. At last, my lap top back 6 hours spent trying to reinstall programs and trying to find codes and such like. The Hard drive died, cost close to £250 to recover and and get it fixed.

At last a decent sized screen to work with, rather than Mrs TS`s little "Kindle" with its diddy screen which the keypad nearly covers when typing and I don't have to squint at it.

12. You obviously don't know about the micro Bluetoth keypads that are available! Makes life a LOT easier! Look on E-Bay or Amazon - they are available from about 9 squid.

13. Got an iPad several years ago, truth to tell, I mainly use it as an I reader these days, much prefer my desktop, it serves its purpose when I am away from home to browse the web, but that's about it (it is a very old iPad though, so cannot comment on the newer versions) wench has a Galaxy Tab 7 (freebie from Samsung when I got my camera) she loves it, much prefers it to her netbook (and the laptop she claimed off me when I got the new PC) and my iPad

14. Ta, thanks for that, good idea Mrs TS doesn't use the key pad, so I wont need one till the laptop goes TU again. If I get one now Ill probably forget where I've put it when I do need it.:oops:

15. Me and SWMBO have an IPad each. Does everything we require them to do. All type,s of Apps Are cheap and you only have to buy them once, plus the updates are all free too. You can download them to any Apple computer you own. Music purchased also.

16. I've got an iPad and I love it would recommend it over other tablets and if you can't afford one or want a smaller one you could get the iPad mini

17. I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 10" tab. Looked at the galaxy 10, but couldn't get one in black. Then I saw the Yoga 2 10. It has better spec than the galaxy and was cheaper. Thumbs up from me

18. I've got an Hewlett Packard Windows tablet.
    I've never really got on with Android so it's ideal.
    The touchscreen is exactly the same layout as a laptop and, after a bit of practice, a piece of piss to use.