TA Commando to RMR.

ALLSEEINGEYE

Midshipman
I have met several TA Cdo soldiers in my time, not one has impressed me and compared to the standard of the RMR TR they are massively different. If up to me I would never accept a TA Cdo as there is 347 years of history and tradition invested in a Royal Marine not 2 weeks on a RFCC at CTCRM. A bloke just RTU'd from 131 on the course had only completed 6 week-ends training (say's it all). It is very hard to meet the minimum required standard of the Corps even for the RMR and that isn't just the physical tests.

This bloke is a 'Walter' and is kidding himself, but if there are any other TA wallah's out there the only way is day 1, week 1, week-end 1 of phase 1 and crack on.

PMPT

labrum

War Hero
The lads I've worked with from 131 and 289 (no longer in existence?) had reasonable soldiering skills but that was some time ago and things may have changed.

I agree totally about starting at day one, week one. If I had a pound for every ex 4 Para lad or TA 2Lt/ Lt/ Capt that joined Ph1B (Ph 2 as it was in the day) and was hailed as the exception to the rule only to reinforce it I'd be a very well off beard stroking gheyer.

ALLSEEINGEYE

Midshipman
Labrum, it went back to Ph2 some time ago...I too have a fair bit of experience with 289... fair enough for Gunners but not remotely near to bootnecks. Regular army commando's are different and the standard varies greatly but by and large they are good men who can do their stuff and most of those who have joined the RMR have made the transition without many problems following a bit of 'cultural' education usually involving soap.

labrum

War Hero
I wouldn't disagree with your last but writing off every TA commando's soldiering because of one RFCC RTU is a bit excessive. My experience is that they varied in ability and knowledge as much as their regular counterparts and that at the top end they out performed the bottom end of RMR.

What's the score with 289? I couldn't find any reference to TA cdo gunners on the web.

Welcome to RR by the way ASE.

ALLSEEINGEYE

Midshipman
Yes, I'm the FNG! I've avoided this for a long time but some of the posts really grip my ****! I haven't been inclined to follow the affairs of 289 and by vitue of my SQ I worked alongside them and the regular bty's over many years mainly their OP parties. I always assumed that they were cracking on doing their thing from Woolwich...I base my views on TA Cdo's having had some G1 nightmares with several of these people in the past, sadly they sometimes see themselves as pseudo bootnecks and we all know the reality! However back to thread as we have digressed...the original poster should heed all the advice as it's never going to happen.

"shot, rounds complete, out!"

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
However back to thread as we have digressed...the original poster should heed all the advice as it's never going to happen.

That should have been in capitals as gunners shout, the deaf *******. You're right though.

WELCOME ABOARD.

(Do you think he heard that?)

ALLSEEINGEYE

Midshipman
Labrum, looks like 289 bty were re-rolled in 2002 -2003, copied this from arrse;

Re: 289 troop 100 regt ra
289 esat ham - now romford - was the TA commando battery before the wise decided to reduce it to a troop of 266 para battery in bristol - just in time for 29 commando regt, the regulars, to go on telic one with a whole battery of people missing - well done the regulars - just bloody brilliant.

289 had more para trained pax than 266 ever had - so swapping t the para role was no big deal.

now 289 tp (still at romford) is part of 201 battery (luton) and is airborne in support of 7 regt royal arse hortillery in colchester and 266 is going commando in bristol in support of 29 commando in plymouth, poole and arbroath.

266, 201 and 289 are all part of 100 regt RA (V)

i bet you can do either the all arms commando course and/or pcoy from any of their locations, but it makes sense to go where the experience is - so romford will be able to deliver both unless all the good guys that were there a few years ago have left.

All badge collecting Walters.

Last edited:

ALLSEEINGEYE

Midshipman
Well spotted on the grammer, 100% bootneck but wasn't sure that was what BR was implying....MMM... still very deaf!

PS just glad I'm not the ALLROVINGSEEINGEYE....would be a bit embarrassing!

Last edited:

X.R.D

War Hero
The lads I've worked with from 131 and 289 (no longer in existence?) had reasonable soldiering skills but that was some time ago and things may have changed.

I agree totally about starting at day one, week one. If I had a pound for every ex 4 Para lad or TA 2Lt/ Lt/ Capt that joined Ph1B (Ph 2 as it was in the day) and was hailed as the exception to the rule only to reinforce it I'd be a very well off beard stroking gheyer.

Need I say anymore ;-)

Latest Threads